A Welcoming and Inclusive Community is one which is free from discrimination and where residents feel able to participate in all aspects of the social, cultural and economic life of the Province.
Municipal governments in partnership with orders of government and local and national groups, have an important role to play in combating racism and other forms of discrimination and creating welcoming and inclusive communities. This is because they function at the most practical level and are the most closely involved in the lives of their citizens.
Why Strive to be More Welcoming and Inclusive?
Ensuring that our communities are welcoming and inclusive is especially important in this time of economic challenges. An influx of immigrants and temporary foreign workers have come to our municipalities to help address labour shortages. Working towards eliminating racism is a worthy goal in and of itself, but it is also tied to attracting and retaining labour by creating a more welcoming environment in the workplace and community.
The Welcoming and Inclusive Communities initiative is not simply about fighting racism and other forms of discrimination. It is about creating communities with positive reputations, where diversity adds to the social and economic vibrancy of the community and the quality of life enjoyed by all residents.
A Partnership for Change
The Welcoming and Inclusive Communities initiative is a partnership between the AUMA, the Alberta Human Rights Commission and the Human Rights and Citizenship branch of Alberta Culture and Community Spirit.
The goals of this partnership are:
- To work with municipalities to help build their capacity to become more welcoming and inclusive.
- To create and support a provincial network of welcoming and inclusive communities as a means to facilitate the sharing of best practices and capacity-building opportunities.
- Serve as a source of information and support for municipalities implementing welcoming and inclusive initiatives.
- To expand and update relevant tools and resources.
- To engage in communication and outreach activities to promote welcoming and inclusive initiatives in an effort to increase the number of municipalities actively engaged on these issues.
Municipal Sustainability Plan
Municipalities have successfully incorporated their welcoming and inclusive work under the social and cultural pillars of their municipal sustainability plan (MSP). For more information on the MSP process and the social and cultural components please click here.