August 1, 2012
Attention: Mayors, Councillors & CAOs
Make a difference by volunteering to become a member of an AUMA Committee
Are you committed to advancing the capacity of municipal governments? Would you like to play a role in working towards solutions on municipal issues?
If so, you may want to become a member of one of AUMA’s Committees.
Currently, AUMA has four standing committees and two ad hoc committees:
- Safe and Healthy Communities (emergency medical response, community safety and policing, community health and wellness, etc.)
- Infrastructure and Energy (municipal energy policies, municipal infrastructure, gas tax funding and reporting, etc.)
- Municipal Governance (municipal legislation, property assessment and taxation, citizen engagement, etc.)
- Sustainability and Environment (municipal water policies, waste reduction, land use planning, brownfields redevelopment, etc.)
- Women in Municipal Government (focus on increasing women’s participation in municipal government and on providing input on key AUMA initiatives)
- Small Communities (focus on issues affecting small communities and on providing input on key AUMA initiatives from a small communities’ perspective).
Each committee is responsible for reviewing and working on particular issues that are significant to municipal governments.
The Standing Committees are made up of elected officials and administrators from member municipalities across Alberta. Committees make recommendations to AUMA’s Board of Directors and thus have a significant influence on the development of AUMA initiatives and policy.
Being part of one of AUMA’s Committees has many advantages:
- Influence the course and direction of policy and programs for municipalities
- Gain a greater awareness of AUMA structure, activities and initiatives and the benefits to members
- Increase valuable networks and connections
- Enhance your leadership skills
- Work with other talented members and supporters
- Build valuable experience and recognition of your accomplishments
- Share and learn from the experiences of others
If you are interested in putting your name forward for one of AUMA’s Standing Committee, please fill in the Committee Interest Form by October 5, 2012.
If you have questions or would like more information on one of the Standing Committees, please contact Danielle Ferguson, Executive Assistant, Advocacy, at 780-431-4542.
Executive Officer, Advocacy