Over the past two years, numerous Alberta municipalities have supported their LGBTQ2S+ communities by passing bylaws and policies that prohibit “conversion therapy”. To raise awareness of the opportunities available to municipalities, AUMA’s Welcoming and Inclusive Communities initiative is pleased to host a webinar on how municipal governments can approach the issue from legal, policy, and practical perspectives to help stop this harmful practice. Participants will leave the session with an understanding of:
• The harm caused by conversion therapy practices,
• The types of legislative tools used by municipalities to prohibit conversion therapy,
• Lessons learned from municipalities, and
• Community responses and reactions.
Panelists will share their experiences based on their roles in supporting the implementation of bylaws in each of their respective communities. Municipalities of any size will be able to draw learnings from the webinar and apply to their local context.
• Merrin Fraser, Councillor, Town of Rocky Mountain House
• Nancy Jacobsen, Legal Supervisor, City of Edmonton
• Stacey McManaman, Business Strategist, City of Calgary
• Dr. Kristopher Wells, Associate Professor & Canada Research Chair, MacEwan University
• Cathy Heron, AUMA Vice President and Mayor of the City of St. Albert (moderator)
Pre-submit your questions
The webinar will feature a question and answer period, but we also encourage participants to pre-submit questions to email@example.com so that they can be addressed in the webinar.