Due to an impending retirement, the Eastern Irrigation District (EID), Brooks, Alberta, seeks a full time Accounting Supervisor, serving a key role within the corporation.
The EID, a leader amongst Alberta’s irrigation districts, is an integral component of the economic, environmental and social fabric of southeastern Alberta. Our core business is the delivery of water to 300,000 acres of irrigated farmland plus all of the lakes/reservoirs, wetlands, industries, municipalities and many rural acreages throughout our region. The District also operates a fleet of heavy construction equipment that performs rehabilitation and maintenance on our 4,000 km of delivery and drainage systems. Building on a proud 80 year history, the EID maintains its focus on agriculture, sustainability and social responsibility.
Brooks, one of Alberta’s cities, has a young population, diverse economy and an unique multi-cultural flavour. Located on the TransCanada Highway, 1.5 hours southeast of Calgary, Brooks is the region’s service centre with first class professional, retail, medical, educational and recreational services and facilities. The County of Newell, supported by strong agricultural and oil & gas sectors, surrounds Brooks and offers abundant opportunities for outdoor enthusiasts.
This position reports to the Assistant General Manager – Corporate Services with a supporting staff encompassing reception / cashier; human resources / payroll; accounts receivable and payable; and records management.
Key responsibilities include:
- efficient, timely and accurate completion of corporate accounting functions including billings, payments, budgeting, financial reports and statements;
- corporate records management;
- maintaining and updating the suite of accounting-related software;
- coaching, training and supporting accounting staff and other staff involved with related functions.
- accounting degree or equivalent post-secondary education combined with at least 5 years of broadly-based experience, including preparation of monthly and annual financial statements. Professional accounting designation is an asset.
- minimum of 3 years supervisory experience in a similar setting, including experience coaching, training and developing team members.
- strong analytical, reconciliation, research and problem-solving skills.
- technical proficiency in the use of accounting software; ideally with GP Dynamics, Smart Lists, Management Reporter, Storm, Microsoft Word and Excel software.
- effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- strong project management and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks, produce accurate results and meet deadlines.
- bondable with a clean criminal records report.
- valid Alberta Class 5 vehicle operator’s licence
The Eastern Irrigation District offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension plan, along with learning and development opportunities.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a resume to email@example.com.
Eastern Irrigation District
P. O. Box 128, 550 Industrial Road W
Brooks, Alberta T1R 1B2
Fax: (403) 362-6206
We thank all applicants for your interest in the EID; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.