Nestled along the South Saskatchewan River, a stone’s throw south of Saskatoon and adjacent to Blackstrap Provincial Park, lies the RM of Dundurn. With a thriving population of over 2400 permanent residents and 30 subdivisions, the RM offers a progressive community in the setting of a four seasons playground. With a median household income approaching twice the provincial average, coupled with an average resident age under 30, it should come as no surprise that this vibrant community has been Saskatchewan’s fastest growing municipality in each of the past ten years.
Incorporated in 1909, the municipality has historically been known for agriculture. The Town of Dundurn, Resort Villages of Shields and Thode, Hillcrest Colony, Whitecap Dakota First Nations (including casino and golf course) and the CFB Detachment of Dundurn are all within the RM’s boundaries. The RM is now seeking an engaged, emerging municipal leader as their next:
An inspiring municipal professional, you have earned a reputation for service excellence based on your responsiveness, creativity, collaboration, passion and energy for the sector. You are a strong communicator and connector, known to build alliances with your team, Ministry staff, elected representatives, ratepayers, industry advisors and neighboring communities. You are well-versed in provincial and municipal regulations, policy, procedures and governance. You are comfortable providing counsel to the Reeve and Council as they craft their vision and strategies for community growth and sustainability. As chief administrative officer, you will establish administrative practices and procedures, oversee capital projects, mind the budget, lead planning and development, and manage the human, financial and physical resources of the RM. You appreciate that your advice needs to be rooted in legislative authority and best practice, and are effective in presenting these recommendations, complete with thorough research and rationale, in a clear and cogent manner.
Calm, cool, collected; critical thinking, the ability to assess risk and opportunity, and welcoming of differing viewpoints are all characteristics that people associate with your style. This opportunity will resonate with municipal professionals who enjoy the challenge of balancing urban-like expectations in a rural setting.
In order to start a discussion, we are hoping for candidates who bring some combination of the knowledge/experience/competencies below:
- Applied knowledge of legislation and policies that affect local government, including The Municipalities Act, The Planning and Development Act 2007;
- Local Government Authority certification, with either a Rural Class “C” or Urban “Standard” certificate. Preference given to applicants possessing a Rural Class “A” or “Superior A” Certificate;
- A degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Public Administration or a related field;
- Several years’ experience in administration of rural and/or urban municipalities;
- Strong skills in business processes, municipal accounting and finance, public relations, policy writing, project management and human resources; and
- Command of the suite of Microsoft Office and Munisoft municipal software products.
The RM is open to the Administrator residing in the community or within commuting distance.
Resumes can be directed to: email@example.com. To discuss the position in confidence, please call:
Lynda Schroeder, Senior Consultant