The Town of Innisfail is seeking a permanent full-time Building and Fire Safety Codes Officer. This unique servant leader must have the ability and desire to serve within the values of trust, integrity, and respect within the principles of transparency, teamwork, pride, and fun. The Town of Innisfail, population 8,000 is located within the central Alberta core and offers modern amenities, regional tourist attractions, and easy access to the major urban centres of Red Deer and Calgary.
This new position is responsible for the overall coordination of new and existing residential, commercial and industrial buildings and structures in all stages of construction, alteration and repair to ensure compliance with the standards of the Alberta Building Code, the Town’s Quality Management Plan and related regulations.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Examine building plan specifications and valuates technical reports to ensure compliance with the ABC, related regulations and bylaws, and issue the required permits.
- Oversee and assist in the performance of administrative tasks related to permit issuance, fee collection and inspections scheduling as set out by the Safety Codes Act and Town’s QMP.
- Inspect buildings as frequently as necessary during the course of construction, alteration and repair, to determine conformity with approved plans requirements of codes and related regulations and bylaws.
- Prepare reports and/or safety codes deficiency checklists and advise/assist architects, engineers, contractors and /or building owners regarding infractions, inquiries or complaints. Ensure that such infractions are corrected prior to issuing and signing building and other related permits.
- Approve building plans and permits as to ensure conformity with building code regulations; inspect buildings after completion of construction and approve occupancy or issue certificates of occupancy for buildings.
- Monitor and keep current with activities and changes to legislation under the Alberta Safety Codes Act and all other applicable codes, standards and regulations.
- Provide information to applicants/property owners on the requirements for buildings and fire related permits, application process, services rendered and fees.
- Liaison with Federal, Provincial, other municipalities, corporate customers and local builders and contractors to build good relationships and maintain a high level of service.
- Work proactively with Development Officer, Business Licensing, Municipal Enforcement and contracted agencies to ensure compliance with all municipal and safety code requirements.
- Act as the Quality Management Plan Manager and serve as the Town’s representative at all Safety Codes Council/Municipal Affairs reviews/audits.
- Prepare and complete monthly and time sensitive reports relating to safety codes activities (ie. time extensions, PSRs, occupancy reports, final notices, etc)
- Respond and follow up on all complaints, service delivery problems and inquiries.
- Ensures the scheduling and compliance to meet the QMP inspection frequency set out by the Town.
- Contact property owners and conduct fire inspections of premises as required by the QMP.
- Inspects structures for fire code compliance and specifies remedial action.
- Monitors and follows up on outstanding deficiencies found on inspections.
- Ensures accurate records are maintained as outlined in the QMP.
- Undertake other tasks, projects and responsibilities as required within the scope of the position or as assigned.
- Grade 12 with a trades related education at a post secondary level (carpentry, electrical, etc).
- Minimum Safety Codes Officer Group A Level 2 certification, with a minimum of 3-5 years experience (preferably in a municipal setting)
- Minimum Safety Codes Officer Group B level 1 Fire Inspector, NFPA 1031-33, Certification as a Group C Fire Investigator, with a minimum 2 years previous experience as a fire inspector in Alberta
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs
- Valid Class 5 Operator’s License
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both orally and in writing, in the English language
- Ability to deal with people and to act with sound judgement under pressure
The Town of Innisfail offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package. Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resumes in confidence by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, June 25, 2021 to:
Town of Innisfail
Attention: Erica Vickers, Finance Manager
4943 53 Street, Innisfail, Alberta, T4G 1A1
We thank all applicants; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.