Building Safety Codes Officer
Job Number: # J0218-0907
Job Type: Temporary Full-Time (until March 2020)
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Number of Positions: 1
Salary: $39.33 - $46.22 / Hour
As one of Canada’s fastest growing municipalities, Rocky View County offers significant opportunities for professional development. Our dedicated employees work with a variety of stakeholders to develop innovative and unique solutions for the complexities of rural and urban development. We seek individuals who thrive on challenges, who provide excellent customer service in a fast-paced environment, and whose positive energy enables the County to grow and prosper.
The Building Safety Codes Officer is responsible for the inspection and enforcement of building plans and on-site construction in compliance with the Alberta Safety and Land Use Bylaw.
- Inspect buildings under construction to ensure conformity to examined plans and Alberta Building Code. Maintain log of all construction activity in accordance with the Building Quality Management Program (QMP).
- Review building plans through consultation with homeowners and designers to ensure minimum standards are applied according to the Alberta Building Code.
- Issue building permits. Ensure all applications are in compliance with Land Use Bylaw (setbacks, heights, minimum floor areas, uses) and Alberta Building Code.
- Monitor and report building or other development activity undertaken without required approval.
- Collaborate with various inspection agencies (plumbing and gas, health and fire) as required to determine best practices.
- Responsible for mentoring safety codes personnel.
- Liaise with all levels of the Development Services department, as well as other departments to increase effective communication and expedite resolution concerns, questions and issues.
- Act in a professional and responsible manner to protect the integrity of employees and the business of the County.
- Display a professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use information appropriately, and maintain the confidentiality and security of all information related to employees, business and residents of Rocky View County.
- Adhere to Health and Safety Legislation and Rocky View safe work policies and procedures at all times, ensuring the protection and safety of self, co-workers, the public and environment.
- Possess a Journeyman Carpenter certificate or another trade certificate covered by the Alberta Building Code; or be a graduate of a minimum two-year architectural, building, construction, civil, or mechanical diploma program; or hold a degree in Civil, Structural, Mechanical Engineering or Architecture with relevant experience or equivalent.
- Certification as a Safety Codes Officer through the Safety Codes Council.
- Display strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Possess excellent attention to detail, organizational, prioritizing and time management skills.
- Demonstrate time management, organizational and decision making ability.
- Demonstrate superior customer service skills to both internal and external customers.
- Well-developed communication and interpretation skills, with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access).
This opportunity will be posted until a suitable candidate is selected.
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to www.rockyview.jobs.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however
only those selected for interviews will be contacted.