The Town of Wainwright is seeking an experienced, qualified and highly motivated individual for the position of Chief Administrative Officer.
The Chief Administrative Officer provides leadership and direction to the management team and is responsible for the overall operation of the Town in accordance with objectives, plans, programs and policies approved by Council. Oversees the development of residential, commercial and industrial property in the Town’s role as developer and manages the operation of the Town’s natural gas distribution system.
The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is responsible for all municipal operations of the Town in accordance with the objectives, policies and plans approved by Town Council and the powers and functions assigned by the Municipal Government Act. He/she directs the overall planning, coordinating and implementing of Department activities within the corporate structure and monitors the progress of policies, programs and projects. Evaluates and recommends goals and objectives, policies, programs, projects and changes as are required from time to time.
OUTLINE OF DUTIES:
- Directs the development of budgets and establishment of financial controls. Works with the Director of Finance in coordinating budget information and assists Department heads in preparing their budget estimates if required.
- Ensures that expenditures are within the Council approved budget and that tax levies are collected.
- Participates in hiring employees, appointments, promotions, demotions or dismissal of employees within established personnel policies, Collective Agreements or budget guidelines.
- Coordinates the prompt and proper handling of all requests, enquiries or complaints by the public.
- Directs the execution of all documents, agreements or contracts approved by Town Council.
- Attends all regular and special meetings of Town Council and other meetings as requested by Council. Participates in all meetings of the management team.
- Prepares Council meeting agenda packages. Attends and records proceedings of Council meetings and communicates resolutions, instructions and decisions to the appropriate parties. Delegates as and when required.
- Ensures the satisfactory preparation of all bylaws and ensures that copies of all official correspondence, records, bylaws, etc. are retained at the Town Office.
- Drafts correspondence resulting from decisions of Council and monitors accurate handling of all official municipal correspondence.
- Coordinates the provision of special services (e.g. legal, audit, engineering, consultations) to the Town.
- Prepares applications for municipal debentures and grants as required.
- Performs other related duties as may be requested by Council.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY AND SKILLS:
This position would normally require the completion of the four (4) year University degree in Public Administration or Business Administration and a Certificate in Local Government. Several years of senior administration experience in a municipal setting would also be a normal requirement.
COMPREHENSION AND JUDGEMENT:
The position requires extensive interaction with senior management staff, Mayor and Council and with levels of the Provincial and Federal Governments for the purpose of giving and receiving information on various municipal, provincial and federal matters. As well, this position requires the ability to relate effectively with the public and news media.
Complex problems are encountered from time to time, under which interpretation and discretion are required. A high degree of independent action is required and incorrect decisions or recommendations may cause financial loss and/or embarrassment for the Town.
Salary range for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Town of Wainwright offers a very competitive benefit package.
Applications are to be submitted in writing stating qualifications, experience, education and references to the undersigned before June 11 4pm.
Town of Wainwright
1018 – 2 Avenue
Wainwright AB T9W 1R1
Attention: Brian Bethune, Mayor
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.