The Council of the Town of Westlock invites applications for the position of Chief Administrative Officer. The Chief Administrative Officer reports directly to Council and is responsible for the effective implementation of all operations of the Town in accordance with provincial legislation and Council approved policies and programs. The position requires an individual who can identify, evaluate risks and maintain high levels of efficiency and productivity while developing policies and procedures and make decisions in a timely manner. The CAO manages the operating and capital budget, provides strategic direction and monitors contracts and legislation. Strong leadership skills, logical decision maker, a self-starter and managing office resources are skills required for this role.
Westlock is located 85 km northwest of Edmonton, at the intersection of Highway 44 and Highway 18. Westlock has a population of over 5000 and offers all amenities that appeal to a wide variety of lifestyles, including first class educational facilities, excellent health care facilities and outstanding recreational facilities.
As the ideal candidate, you are a proven senior team leader, with strong communication skills, as well as strong human resource management and financial management skills. You are comfortable being seen and connected with the community. You have economic development experience and are a strategic thinker that is able to align organizational efforts to efficiently turn goals into results. You demonstrate honesty and integrity and will install these values in your team. You are an innovative leader who can motivate and inspire your team in working towards a common vision.
Further information regarding the candidate profile and position can be found at http://transitionalsolutions.ca/recruitment/
Information about the Town of Westlock is available at www.westlock.ca
Reporting to Council, the Town Manager provides professional leadership and direction to the management team of the Town of Westlock. Leading a team of 4 direct reports with a total staff complement of over 200, the Town Manager provides overall supervision of all departments as well as the development of policies and programs for the Town of Westlock. As the administrative head of the Town, the Town Manager is responsible for the overall operation of the Town in accordance with the objectives, plans, programs and policies approved by Council and in accordance with the various Provincial or Federal statutes and municipal bylaws.
Please view www.westlock.ca for further information about the vibrant community of Westlock.
Key Roles & Responsibilies
- Leads and facilitates the management team: responsible for their productivity and cooperation and the full participation of all areas of the organization.
- Ensures, sustains and models productive workplace management practices such as ongoing performance feedback and accountability, full staff participation with delegated responsibility and ownership, open sharing of information and performance based rewards.
- Coaches and mentors staff: ensure ongoing staff development, cross-training, multi-tasking and succession planning.
- Connects with all departments on a regular basis creating open communication and effective engagement with staff in order to establish an open and team oriented environment.
- Responsible for continued excellence in all municipal operations such as Finance and Administration, Taxation and Assessment, Public Works, Economic Development, Recreation Services, Community Services and Protective Services
- Ensures and sustains productive workplace practices such as minimal bureaucracy, open sharing and dissemination of information to all staff, a focus on customer service, productivity and cost effectiveness and an organizational structure that supports and reflects such practices.
- Ensures a focus on and a measurement of successful outcomes rather than outputs.
- Ensures that all legislative requirements such as those of the Municipal Government Act are adhered to.
Liaison With Council
- Assists, advises and informs Council on all municipal matters to assist Council to establish appropriate and well informed policy direction and decisions.
- Ensures that Council is provided with well documented and researched Agendas and reports with, where appropriate alternative solutions, recommended courses of action and cost benefit analyses.
- Ensures that Council is provided with ongoing financial reports which provide an overview of what has been spent as opposed to budgeted and reasons any significant variance.
- Ensures that Council is provided with ongoing management reports that keep Council informed of major activities in each municipal area.
- Works closely with Council in reviewing agenda items, following through on decisions made by Council, informing Council of any potential political issues and maintaining ongoing open dialogue.
Planning & Development
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate short and long term operational and strategic planning.
- Provides ongoing leadership in marketing and promoting the development of the municipality at every opportunity, ensuring prospective businesses and residents are provided excellent information, assistance and service.
Customer Service/Public Relations
- Responsible for ensuring an ongoing survey of customer needs, the measurement of how successfully those needs have been met and maintaining high standards of customer service.
- Maintains productive public relations at all times, regularly attends community events, regularly visits local businesses and various community groups and represents the municipality at various other functions, committees, associations, other levels of government, etc.
Opportunities & Challenges
- Work with Council to continue to identify unique and “out of the box” solutions that provide economic opportunity and prosperity to the community and its stakeholders.
- Ensures that Westlock takes a leadership role with the municipal sector in Alberta and nationally, creating win-win solutions for stakeholders involved.
- Ensure that the Town is organized and well positioned to continue to deliver high quality service to its residents and demonstrate a model for good governance in managing its affairs.
Education and Experience
- University graduation in business administration, commerce, engineering, planning or a related field is preferred, however, relevant past experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated success as a senior leader in a progressive and dynamic municipal environment and/or equivalent experience in a large and complex multi-faceted organization.
- Recognized as a leader of change, adaption and collaboration in an organization supporting and servicing a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Municipal Government Act and related statutes or equivalent experience managing in a government environment.
- Practical knowledge and experience in computer systems for business applications.
- Appreciation for, and experience in implementing progressive economic development programs in vibrant communities
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
The Town Manager will have a progressive leadership record demonstrating positive relationships with key stakeholders, elected officials, staff and the community. He/she will feel equally comfortable as a senior manager or as a “hands-on” team participant. Among other attributes, the following will be important:
Strategic & Business Planning – Provides executive leadership to all corporate initiatives and ensures accountability for achievement of results throughout the Town of Westlock. Employs a “can-do” attitude.
Communication – An open, honest and straightforward style with all audiences; demonstrates candour and respect to all and is prepared to delegate responsibility and accountability.
Interpersonal Skills – Able to effectively build relationships with a wide range of stakeholders. Patient and resilient – embraces challenges while accepting the reality of obstacles. Is flexible and adaptable; works comfortably with individuals, teams and larger committees. Has a positive outlook and a sense of humour. Is diplomatic and emotionally mature; possesses well-developed negotiation skills – able to resolve conflict and facilitate negotiations with tact and diplomacy.
Integrity & Trust – Possesses impeccable integrity and ethics. Respectful of others and respected by peers. Is honest, sincere, dependable, authentic, and trustworthy. Committed to the Town’s values, vision, and mission and acts as a role model. Displays stamina and energy. Is committed to personal growth and development for self and others.
Leadership Skills – Demonstrates a visionary leadership style while giving guidance and support. A mentor and positive role model combined with a practical and common sense approach. Builds pro-active teams and delegates to them. Is appreciative, engaging, understanding and knowledgeable of rural as well as urban issues and concerns Identifies opportunities, inspires action and achieves results.
Management Skills – Demonstrates a progressive management style, engaging staff to bring forth new ideas and new approaches to solve challenges more effectively and create a better integrated work team.
Customer Service – Instills and demands a high level of customer service; ensures customer needs are identified and addressed, and ensures consultation with all citizens in the development of quality service and respect shown for all.
Financial Management – A proven ability to work in a fiscal environment of growth and lead with a strong sense of service. Timely and efficient in all budgeting, financing and information reporting.
Volunteer Service – Presents a strong commitment to comprehensive community services, a demonstrated belief in voluntarism and willingness to become an integral part of the community.
A Professional – Acts as an integral part of a leadership team and displays a ``first among equals`` style with high ethical standards and an honest, open-minded and consistent approach to working with staff and citizens.
Self-Confidence – Possesses confidence in own skills and abilities, is able to make difficult decisions and stand by them, and demonstrate a positive attitude.
Planning & Organizing – Can marshal resources to get things done; uses resources effectively and efficiently; sets clear expectations; designs practical processes and procedures; ensures accountability through the implementation of a workable performance management system.
Politically Astute –Knows and understands legislative and regulatory processes and has an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions; prepared to guide and mentor council with solid and informed recommendations.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, detailed resume outlining experience, education and qualifications, references and salary expectations in confidence to Doug Lagore, Senior Consultant (780-913-5786) at Transitional Solutions Inc. at email@example.com