The City of Grande Prairie has an exciting opportunity for a dynamic professional to lead its City Clerk team. Reporting to the City Solicitor, you will ensure the proper preparation and distribution of agendas, minutes and other activities related to City Council Meetings, Public Hearings, Standing and Advisory Committees, and other ad hoc committees. You will conduct research, write Council reports and provide legislative, policy and procedural advice to City Council, senior staff and the public. You will also manage the administration processes related to municipal elections and municipal census.
YOUR KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Coordinating and attending City Council and various Council Committee meetings.
- Providing legislative and procedural assistance to Council and Council Committees and maintaining permanent corporate records of Council and Committee meeting minutes, policies, City by-laws and contracts.
- Supporting the provision of advisory services to the CAO, senior staff and Council in matters relating to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPP) through a dedicated resource in the City Clerk’s area.
- Providing information and advice to senior staff and department managers on local government processes.
- Overseeing the administration of municipal elections and the municipal census.
- Serving as the
- Head of Local Body in accordance with FOIPP.
- Clerk of the Assessment Review Board.
- Secretary to the Subdivision Development Appeal Board.
- Leading and managing the City Clerk team.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive and diversified local government experience. An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Degree or diploma in Public Administration, Business Administration, Political Science or a related field.
- A certificate in Local Government is also preferred.
- Training or experience in a paralegal role is an asset.
- Thorough understanding of the statutory requirements, administrative and procedural functions of a local government including, but not limited to the provisions required in the Municipal Government Act, the FOIPP Act, Robert’s Rules of Order, agenda management, minute taking and the provision of general advice on meeting procedures.
- Demonstrated political and organizational sensitivity with respect to confidentiality.
- Ability to research, analyze and report on information, findings and conclusions.
- Strong problem-solving skills to manage and resolve complex situations.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, train, coach and mentor direct reports and staff work teams.
- Superior presentation and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills to build and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Ability to work outside of the standard hours of work.
A competitive total compensation package, including pension plan.
The City of Grande Prairie, recognizes and values that people have lives outside of work. We offer flexibility with scheduling, have appropriate vacation entitlements and comprehensive benefits that not only cover you when you're sick but encourage you to be well. We have wellness events, social activities, community fundraising activities and a supportive work environment where you can grow your people and your career, while having a positive impact on our community.
The City of Grande Prairie is proud to be an Employer of Choice
10205 - 98 Street
Grande Prairie, AB
Visit the Grande Prairie City Website or use login below.
Create an account and submit your cover letter and resume using the "Apply Now" tab on the web page. Once you apply and upload a resume you should receive an email confirming that your application has been submitted for this position. If you receive this email, there is NO further need to contact us regarding this position.
Submit resume and proof of qualifications. Applications will be reviewed, short-listed and interviews will be scheduled.
We thank you in advance for your interest. Those selected for an interview will be contacted by phone or email. We will contact those who did not make it to the interview stage by email within 1 month of the closing date of this job posting.
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive per job posting, we are not able to answer job specific questions before the interview stage. If you are successful in getting to the job interview stage, we will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have at that time.