The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
This position is responsible for leading the development of the City's Fiscal Plan through effective use of financial planning software, participation in planning processes, thorough fiscal analysis and integration with the City's corporate planning database. The incumbent is accountable for the integrity of financial planning data and will work closely with the Corporate Planner to ensure a seamlessly integrated Corporate/Fiscal plan. The incumbent will also facilitate enhanced forecasting and increased accountability for variance analysis within the organization. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
- Coordinate with Controller - Accounting & Financial Reporting regarding ongoing BI360 design and development activities, including enhancement and maintenance.
- Accountable for testing and validating BI360 updates and rolling over BI360 for the next planning year including preparation of appropriate templates.
- Responsible to identify key economic assumptions and communicate with the organization, as well as identifying and updating tax and utility assumptions.
- Coordinate identification and reflection of emerging issues into financial planning with the CFO
- Consult with CFO regarding forecast variances and the identification of implications for financial planning.
- Responsible to upload initiatives from Corporate Planning database.
- Responsible to conduct analysis of overall budget submissions and determine financial implications through the preparation of a review for the Senior Leadership Team (SLT).
- Calculate rates and surpluses.
- Contribute advice and guidance to SLT (led by the CFO).
- Complete overall budget analysis once SLT has finalized administrative budget recommendation to Council.
- Prepare departmental and overall fiscal plans.
Stakeholder Relationships and Strategic Support:
- Participate in Financial Leadership Team meetings.
- Collaborate with the Corporate Planning team and Capital Planning team.
- Participate in Management Team/SLT meetings as required to support Corporate Planning process.
- Work collaboratively with CFO and Controller-Accounting & Financial Reporting to lead an integrated approach to accounting and financial planning.
- Work collaboratively with CFO and Corporate Planner to lead an integrated approach to Corporate and Financial Planning.
- Contribute to preparation of Finance department submissions (initiatives, service changes, status quo budget development, etc.) to the Corporate Planning process.
- Work with organizational managers to enhance forecasting processes and encourage accountability through variance analysis.
- Ensure leadership aligns with the City’s strategic and corporate plans as well as values and guiding principles.
- Provide a high level of coaching, training, and mentoring to section staff in the achievement of their goals and projects on an ongoing basis as well as through the performance management process.
- Manage the daily operations of the Financial Planning team, setting goals and expectations for the team, making decisions regarding staffing matters, stressing the importance of teamwork, ensuring the overall efficiency of the services provided by the team as a whole.
- Provide the leadership to ensure the efficient and effective ongoing operation of the enterprise-wide programs and services provided by the section as well as continual enhancements to the programs and their processes.
- Receive and investigate complaints or concerns relative to the delivery of section services and ensure appropriate information is provided or appropriate action taken.
- Respond to customer concerns and complaints using tact and understanding.
- Post-secondary degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or equivalent.
- Ten (10) to (Twelve) 12 years related experience which includes five (5) years leadership experience.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation required.
- Leadership Development Program Certificate or equivalent an asset.
- CPA Public Sector Budgeting/ Financial Reporting training or equivalent an asset.
- Project Management training an asset.
- CPA Controllers Program an asset.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for more information and to apply online.