Reporting to the Development Manager, this position is responsible for:
- Assisting with issues pertaining to land use planning for the Town of Sylvan Lake which includes the administration, monitoring and enforcement of the land use bylaw. Required to review, evaluate, make decisions and recommendations on development permit applications, responsible for the signing of compliance certificates, co-ordinate and conduct field inspections and investigations, land use amendments, prepare recommendations and reports for the Development Authority, Council and the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.
- Expertise and experience will be required to provide information to our internal departments and external clients, interpret bylaws, be a liaison with other agencies to ensure that information and decisions are coordinated and cohesive.
- Responsible for providing direct service to the general public and development community regarding land development within the parameters of the Municipal Government Act (MGA), Municipal Development Plan (MDP), Land Use Bylaw (LUB), Area Structure Plans (ASP), Outline Plans and other Town policy and practices. Respond to inquiries for the public, developers and builders regarding planning and development control matters;
- Utilize the Land Use Bylaw to process and render decisions where authorized on development permit and building permit applications and present recommendations to the Development Authority;
- Prepare reports, make recommendations, support and/or provide guidance and deliver presentations to the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC), Council and the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board;
- Prepares encroachment agreements and assign civic addressing in accordance with the Civic Addressing and Street Naming Policy;
- Liaise, interdepartmentally, with Enforcement and Bylaw Agencies, the public, developers for site specific development, redevelopment through personal meetings, phone conversations, letters and email interaction. Continual interaction with contracted building inspectors on matters pertaining to the Alberta Building Code;
- Administer, monitor and enforcement of the Land Use Bylaw and follow through with investigation of complaints (LUB related). Appointed Designated Officer responsible for the preparation and execution of Stop Work Orders in accordance with the Municipal Government Act which includes registration and discharges of Orders at Land Titles Office utilizing SPIN II. Providing effective negotiations relative to enforcement issues with professionals and the public at large;
- As required, monitor and assist in the management and enforcement of the Quality Management Plan and the Business Licensing Bylaw;
- Providing continual mentoring to the Development Technician, Development Clerk and backup for other team members in their absence;
- Participate in development and revision of land use bylaw as required;
- Review, approve and sign compliance certificates in accordance with municipal and provincial regulations;
- Complete special projects as required. General GIS mapping where required;
- Follow the Health and Safety Program guidelines and adhere to the working responsibility and accountabilities as outlined in the program manual.
- Completion of the Alberta Applied Land Use Planning Certificate would be an asset;
- 3 years or more experience in development or related field;
- Solid understanding of appropriate legislative framework, development processes and the Municipal Government Act.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Effective decision making ability;
- Mindset for achieving exceptional internal and external customer satisfaction;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs, which include Excel Work, Access; GIS/AutoCAD knowledge is an asset;
- Effective time management;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Familiarity with the online Land Titles information and registry system (SPIN II);
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License.
- Active Member of the Alberta Development Officer’s Association
- Excellent customer service skills with proficiency in interpersonal relationship, public speaking with an emphasis on tact and diplomacy. Be concise and a positive communicator with an approachable attitude;
- Maintain relationships with both internal departments and external agencies;
- Strong report writing skills and presentation ability;
- Effective negotiating skills.
- Ability to mediate and problem solve multifaceted situations.
This is a terrific opportunity to work in a professional, team focused environment. You have a strong desire to be a major contributor to the success of a vibrant and growing organization. If you are up to the challenge of taking ownership and wanting to make a difference, this is an ideal situation. We offer competitive rates, a tremendous benefits package and an excellent work/life balance situation. If this position intrigues you, please submit your resume in confidence specifying which position you are applying for, by February 1, 2019, to:
Town of Sylvan Lake
5012 – 48 Avenue, Sylvan Lake, AB T4S 1G6
Attention: Human Resources
F 403 887 3660 | email@example.com