If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary. City employees deliver the services, run the programs and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance, promote physical and psychological safety, and offer competitive wages, pensions, and benefits. Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
The City is committed to fostering a respectful, inclusive and equitable workplace which is representative of the community we serve. We welcome those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, inclusion and anti-racism. Applications are encouraged from members of groups that are historically disadvantaged and underrepresented. Accommodations are available during the hiring process, upon request.
Reporting to the General Manager of Community Services, the Director of Emergency Management & Community Safety (EMCS) is accountable for and oversees the strategic direction and operational management of the Business Unit. As the Director you will lead over 800 employees working in the areas of emergency management and community safety. In addition, you are responsible for and have oversight of key relationships with internal and external stakeholders such as the Calgary Police Service, Calgary Fire Department, Alberta Health Services, and union partners.
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), you will be expected to foster an inclusive leadership approach that promotes equity, diversity and inclusion, as well as psychological and physical safety. As a strategic decision-maker, you will possess political acumen and have experience in leading transformational change and enabling innovation. Primary duties include
- Provide leadership for all City peace officers to ensure compliance to Calgary’s bylaws through education to protect citizens and communities.
- Ensure oversight of recovered animals are cared for and reunited with owners.
- Oversee 911 service to connect citizens with appropriate emergency resource.
- Ensure there is a coordinated approach to prepare for, and respond to emergency situations that might impact citizens and communities.
- Oversee business continuity planning in The City to support the delivery of essential services during and after an emergency event.
- A degree in a complementary field (Business, Emergency Management, or other related field), with at least 10 years of progressively responsible management experience in a complex organization.
- A Master’s degree in a related field will be considered an asset.
- Equivalent combinations of experience and education may be considered.
- A successful track record in the ability to build and maintain relationships with a diverse group including internal Business Units, elected officials, business and citizens, and all orders of government is essential.
- Demonstrated ability as a strategic communicator with strong political acumen is required.
- Experience and success in creating and executing a strategic vision and direction for a complex organization ideally in a service-based environment is a preferred asset.
- Public sector experience, particularly municipal government experience in a large, multi-union environment, is a preferred asset.
- Aligning with City corporate values , you will have demonstrated success in building, developing and leading strong teams, developing and using metrics to improve organizational performance, deploying resources to achieve effective and efficient outcomes, and establishing and maintaining strong and positive working relationships with colleagues, clients, stakeholders, and/or elected officials.
- An Enhanced security clearance will be conducted.
- A media check will be conducted.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Business Unit: Emergency Management and Community Safety
Position Type: Permanent
Location: 800 Macleod Trail SE
Compensation: Director Band 1 $155,500 - 240,000 per annum
Days of Work: This position works a 5 day work week earning 1 day off in a 3 week cycle.
Hours of work: Standard 35 hour work week
Apply By: October 15, 2021
Job ID #: 304569
To apply for this position please visit our website.