Slave Lake is a progressive, dynamic community of 7000 located 250 km northwest of Edmonton on Highway 2. Situated in the heart of Big Lake Country, Slave Lake offers a wide range of recreational opportunities, with excellent health care facilities and advanced education opportunities within the community.
The Town is seeking a dynamic leader with a great attitude to join a team of managers with vision, inspiration and the courage to change while leading.
As the Director, you would be responsible for leading, managing and directing the Planning and Development Services Department to support the Town of Slave Lake’s Vision, Strategic and Corporate Business Plans and its commitment to excellence in municipal government and customer service.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, you will be responsible for the overall land use planning and development activities in the Town of Slave Lake and establish strategic direction and alignment with the organization. You will lead the department with the primary goal of building an increasingly sustainable community with an exceptional quality of life.
Some of your other duties will include providing direction, coaching and mentoring, preparing and monitoring budgets, hiring and retaining staff, advising senior staff and Town Council, providing input for land development, directing ongoing needs assessments, analyzing and responding to community needs, leading, planning and recommending Departmental work plans/strategic plans.
- Responsible for managing the development process through administration of the Land Use Bylaw, issuance of development permits, letters of compliance, and performing enforcement duties as pertaining to development issues.
- Advisor to the Municipal Planning Commission, Subdivision & Development Appeal Board, Town Council and other inter-agencies and authorities as pertaining to matters of subdivision & development.
- Represent the Town of Slave Lake on all day to day activities relating to planning and development matters, liaison and correspond with agencies, governments, developers and other interested parties.
- Provide recommendations to Town Council regarding amendments to the Land Use Bylaw.
- Responsible for the administration and management of all statutory documents, studies, reports and manuals that relate to planning and development issues.
- Preparation and management of Development Agreements including coordinating field inspections to verify compliance.
- Administration of all subdivision applications (includes initial consultation with developer, review of subdivision and development plans, overseeing the subdivision referral process, and preparation of planning reports for the Subdivision Authority).
- Steering of planning and land use studies for the Town and joint planning studies with neighboring municipalities.
- Coordinate special planning studies, research projects and investigations as required.
- Responsible for commenting on urban fringe subdivision and development referrals.
- Responsible for administering and providing recommendations to Council regarding road closure applications, public land sales and municipal reserve allocation and disposals.
- Responsible for the management of the Land Based Filing system and provision of administrative support for geographic information services.
- Supervision of staff and contract employees as related to the department.
- Preparation of annual operating and capital budgets and responsibility to remain within the budget parameters throughout the year.
- Ensure municipality is aware of and in compliance with current legislative and related changes affecting land use and municipal planning in Alberta.
- Health and Safety: Must adhere to all safety standards under the Occupational Health and Safety Legislation, Town Policies and Procedures and WHMIS Guidelines. For specific responsibilities of this position, refer to the Town’s Health and Safety Policy, Section 2 – Responsibilities for CAO, Directors, Supervisors and Workers.
- Other duties as may be required from time to time.
- Post-secondary Degree in Land Use Planning, Geography or Regional, Urban, City or Community Planning, or a related discipline (e.g. Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography, Urban Studies, Environmental Planning, Sustainability)
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in the planning field, including at least three (3) years in a local government setting (preferably at the municipal level) and at least two (2) years in a supervisory or management role.
- Member of Canadian Institute of Certified Planners or equivalent is preferred.
- Considerable breadth and depth of knowledge of the Municipal Government Act, provincial planning and development regulations and related statutes
- Expertise in the areas of land development, project management, and land use planning is needed.
The Town of Slave Lake offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
Send your resume to:
Town of Slave Lake,
Human Resource Department,
10 Main Street S.W. P.O. Box 1030,
Slave Lake, Alberta T0G 2A0
This position will remain open until filled. We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates invited for interviews will be contacted.