A Town as great as Sylvan Lake, starts with amazing employees, like you! Pursue your passion in a workplace that values teamwork, creativity, and hard work. We focus on work-life balance, so you can enjoy the recreational lifestyle of our community, and the upbeat nature of our organization. Supporting a community of over 14,000, we have an immediate opening for a:
Director of Public Works
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Director of Public Works will provide visionary leadership to ensure a culture of continuous improvement throughout the Public Works Division. You will have a strong ability to make a positive impact on the overall direction of the organization and ensure that customer service is at the top of your priority list.
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
- Responsible for integration of functions across divisions, including collaboration with staff members in Economic Development, Planning and Development and Community Services to achieve broad organizational goals.
- Provide the vision to ensure that the long term requirements of Town infrastructure are addressed and accounted for.
- Delivers effective presentations when conveying information to Council, contractors, public and staff as related to Public Works.
- Develops and maintains departmental annual and long range budgets for operating and capital projects.
- Develops policies, procedures and programs for accomplishing approved objectives of the department and evaluates the effectiveness of these policies
- Ensures the hiring, evaluating and performance management of all staff for the department is conducted within approved personnel policies, timelines, and legislation.
- Ensures that all occupational health and safety regulations and policies are followed and enforced and that safety is foremost in all employee efforts.
- Oversees staff in planning, layout and design of engineered structures such as curb, sidewalks, water, sewer infrastructure, storm water management, roadway design and other projects. Engage external professional services as required.
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of tenders and requests for proposals.
- Ensure that all public works functions are carried out in an environmentally responsible manner and all pertinent legislation is followed.
- In conjunction with the Planning and Development department, regularly reviews, implements and maintains design standards and construction specifications.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the Town’s development standards and ensures they are consistent with the Town’s planning documents (Municipal Development Plan, Area Structure Plans and Area Development Plans, offsite levies, etc.).
- Liaises with provincial and federal governments, other municipalities, industry and the public regarding technical, financial and day-to-day matters relevant to Public Works.
- Prepares government reports and grant applications.
- Responds to public enquiries and complaints in an appropriate manner according to approved policies.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduation from an accredited Civil Engineering degree program or a Civil EngineeringTechnology Program.
- Member in good standing with A.P.E.G.G.A. or certification from Alberta Society of Engineering Technologists as an Engineering Technologist in the Civil Technology discipline
- Advanced skills in facilitation, strategic planning and implementation as well as project management.
- Extensive experience in water and wastewater infrastructure planning.
- Storm water management planning and solid waste management planning are definite assets.
- Experience working with Water and Wastewater Commission is a definite asset
- Minimum of 7 years municipal or closely related civil engineering experience with working knowledge of land use planning and development management
- Ability to prepare, review and interpret reports, studies, contracts, agreements, and related documents used in a municipal environment
- Proven ability to direct and manage staff in a positive manner with a focus on creating a culture of empowerment
- Can communicate effectively with Council, contractors, senior management and staff in other departments and the public
- Good understanding of municipal infrastructure construction practices and project management.
- Asset Management experience, particularly with the Lucity Asset Management system would be an asset.
- Off-site Levy expertise with knowledge of defined models preferred.
This is an amazing opportunity to work in a professional, team focused environment. You have a strong desire to be major contributor to the success of a vibrant and growing organization.
If you are up to the challenge of taking ownership and leading a tremendous division, this is an ideal situation. We offer competitive rates and an excellent benefits package, including a wellness component. If this position intrigues you, please submit your resume in confidence to:
Town of Sylvan Lake
5012 – 48 Avenue, Sylvan Lake, AB T4S 1G6
Attention: Human Resources
F 403 887 3660 | email@example.com