Nestled in east central Alberta, Camrose is a dynamic regional community focused on providing an exceptional quality of life for its citizens. With a community of over 18,000 people, Camrose has a diversified economy based on health care, education, agriculture, and manufacturing and is only 45 minutes away from the Edmonton International Airport.
Camrose has excellent public schools as well as post-secondary institutions including the University of Alberta Augustana Campus. The community is proud of the Rose City’s beautiful park system and of its world-class recreational, cultural, and sporting facilities that host many local, provincial, and national events.
The City of Camrose is looking for a dynamic, proven leader to fill the role of Director of Public Works. Reporting to the City Manager, the Director of Public Works is responsible for executing the Public Works department’s vision and mandate through leadership of all aspects of Public Works services and infrastructure maintenance, including water, sewer, drainage, fleet and roads services.
The Director of Public Works provides strategic and technical advice to City departments, Council, related working units and committees on a variety of operational matters. This position will play a significant role in overseeing and managing the operating and capital budgets, establishing best practices in managing public works operations and promoting a team focused workplace designed to service the community with respect and accountability.
- Post-Secondary Education in Engineering, Business Administration, Public Administration, or a transportation-related discipline. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- 10+ years of leadership experience at a management level.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in municipal operations, specifically related to project management, roads, underground infrastructure, transportation and procurement is required.
- Supplementary certificates or designations in local government programs, project management, water or wastewater or related field considered an asset.
- Experience with managing organizational change initiatives, and determining and setting goals and priorities based on organizational mandates and initiatives.
- Experience in the preparation, management and execution of operational and capital budgets and strategic plans.
- Demonstrated decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of people, including senior management, private and public officials, business and community leaders, advisory boards, union officials, staff and the general public.
- Fully experienced in the use of MS Office with advanced computer skills.
- The successful candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Driver’s Abstract and Police Information Check.
HOURS OF WORK: Hours of work are generally 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Management duties will require work outside of the core hours as part of this role.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The City of Camrose offers a competitive salary, attractive benefits, and a positive work environment. The starting salary for this position will be based upon the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter and current resume via e-mail or to the address below by February 9th, 2018 at 5:00 pm. We appreciate and consider all applications; however only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
City of Camrose
Attention: Human Resources
Mailing Address: 5204 – 50 Avenue, Camrose, AB T4V 0S8