Competition number: 188-2021-EXT-RPC
Closing date: 06/24/2021
Job type: Permanent Full-time
Department: Recreation, Parks and Culture
Pay range: $81.54 to $101.92 per hour ($148,403 to $185,494 per year)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Recreation, Parks and Culture is a service-oriented department focused on generating recreation and culture opportunities to enhance Strathcona County residents’ quality of life and build community.
Exciting opportunity for a seasoned leader in the industry to lead this citizen-centric and customer-service oriented department to new and creative heights!
As the Director, Recreation, Parks and Culture, you will be responsible for leading, managing and directing the Department as well as overseeing the alignment of programs and activities which provide residents with accessible recreational facilities, programming, parks, green spaces and cultural opportunities. You will also be responsible for providing, promoting and sustaining a broad range of sport, leisure and learning opportunities to nurture arts, culture and recreation.
The Recreation Parks and Culture department consists of 182 full time employees, and up to 600 hourly/seasonal employees throughout the year.
- Provide senior leadership of the Recreation Park and Culture department for the purpose of supporting the County’s vision and aligning programs with the Corporate Strategic and Business Plans and the Recreation Strategy
- Oversee community development and community engagement policies and approaches to generate opportunities for partnerships, maximize facility utilization, develop creative solutions for residents and open recreation park and culture facilities to a wider audience
- Oversee the management of developed public open spaces including trails, parks and facilities, urban and rural indoor multi-use recreation facilities and cultural facilities for the performing/visual arts
- Strategically attain regional, national and international partnerships with event organizers to bring events to Strathcona County
- Oversee the efficient and effective use of all resources, financial, information technology, human resources, communications and documentation management
- Provide excellence in personal leadership that establishes and maintains a highly engaged and effective team
- Foster a culture of leadership, collaboration, teamwork and excellence in customer service
- Provide analysis and recommendations to Council and Executive team to resolve politically sensitive issues
- Proactively identify the need and opportunities for change and build support for major changes to the direction of programs or business practices
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and administration of recreation parks and culture services, infrastructure and management
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to collectively create a vision of the future, provide motivational direction to obtain clearly defined goals, influence, persuade, and garner commitment
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategy, and develop and implement new programs, procedures, services, and policies that address emerging needs, expectations, and operational priorities
- Strong political and organizational savvy and business acumen and the ability to respond under pressure to changing political and operational situations
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills including strong management skills to provide direction, training and coaching
- Excellent presentation and communication skills; a visionary leader with the ability to present and address Council, Boards and Committees
- Ability to work under pressure, manage a variety of projects and initiatives simultaneously and meet tight timelines
- Ability to diplomatically and effectively liaise and consult with internal and external stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in recreation, business or a related field. Master’s degree in a related field is considered an asset
- Minimum 10 years of senior level management experience with proven strategic leadership in a recreation or cultural services field or a related area
- Extensive background and experience in planning, policies and systems along with managing large diverse recreation, parks and culture programs and facilities
- Extensive, positive, and successful career track record of progressively more senior positions in a public sector or recreation and culture services organization with proven ability to provide leadership and focus
- In-depth knowledge of financial management, planning and reporting, budgeting, business planning and fiscal frameworks within recreation parks and culture services within a municipal setting
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered, where applicable, in addition to the minimum requirement of a bachelor's degree. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
To apply for this postition please visit our website.
Competition #188-2021-EXT-RPC closes June 24, 2021
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.