Mackenzie County is currenty inviting applications for the Director of Utilities position. The primary location for this position will be in La Crete, however the individual may be required to work in other areas of the municipality as per operational requirements. This a is a full-time out of scope position with a 40 hour work week (8 hours per day) Monday to Friday.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the successful applicant will be responsible for:
- Ensuring continuity standards for utilities maintenance;
- Responsible for the recruitment and supervision of all County Utility Operations staff;
- Responsible for the maintenance and operation of Mackenzie County’s water and sewer systems in accordance with the Provincial Legislation and County policies and procedures;
- Prepare and monitor operational and project budgets;
- Develop and recommend short and long term plans for the utilities department;
- Reviewing plans and specifications to ensure compliance during construction and review and report any observed hazardous situations and infractions;
- Work constructively with the Planning & Development department to determine long term infrastructure servicing needs;
- Provide technical review of subdivision & development applications to ensure that utility servicing requirements are met;
- Enforce the provisions of the County’s water and sewer Bylaws;
- Assist in the development of County policies and procedures;
- Prepare presentations for elected officials, staff and stakeholders;
- Prepare and review committee and council reports, Request for Proposals/Quotes;
- Coordinate responses to emergency situations in conjunction with the CAO;
- Ensure all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, and County policies and procedures;
- Ensure good public relations are maintained;
- Other duties as required.
Requirements for this position are:
- Level II water treatment certificate;
- Level II water distribution certificate;
- Level II waste water collection certificate;
- Level I waste water treatment certificate;
- Minimum of five (5) years supervisory experience;
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience directly related to water and wastewater systems;
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.);
- Sound knowledge of operating procedures and experience in systematic and development of maintenance schedules;
- Good communication, interpersonal, negotiating, and supervisory skills;
- Ability to interpret blue prints and specialization in performing construction inspections to determine progress and quality;
- Knowledge of the Provincial regulations for the operation of Water and Sewer Systems;
- A valid class 5 driver’s license;
- Evidence of successfully passing a police Criminal Record Check;
Salary Range: $120,407.57 - $144,362.70 per annum. Mackenzie County offers a Comprehensive Benefit Package.
Please submit resumes by the above noted deadline, however, resumes will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found.
Please forward all resumes and applications to:
Judy Quewezance, Human Resources Coordinator
Fort Vermilion, AB T0H 1N0
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.