(Permanent, Full-time; 75 hours bi-weekly)
The City of Lethbridge (www.lethbridge.ca) proudly acknowledges that we are located at the heart of Siksikaitsitapi (Blackfoot) Territory, home of Kainai, Piikani, Siksika and Amskapi Piikani (Montana, USA) First Nations. Lethbridge is also located within the Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III. The City of Lethbridge recognizes the diversity of our community and is working to ensure programs, services, facilities, and employment opportunities are inclusive to all people.
Lethbridge is southwestern Alberta’s largest community, close to the Rocky Mountains and strategically located two hours south of Calgary. We are home to just over 101,000 residents and two major post-secondary institutions -- the University of Lethbridge and Lethbridge College. Thanks to its location under the big skies of the prairies, Lethbridge enjoys a climate of mild winters and warm, sun-soaked summers. It is one of the sunniest cities in Canada, with more than 320 days of sunshine every year.
The City is currently seeking a seasoned and self-directed individual to provide executive administrative support and coordination to the Office of the Mayor. The successful candidate will be responsible for executing a wide variety of administrative functions ranging from calendar management, facilitating public interaction with the Mayor, and prioritization on emerging issues -- through to preparation of a variety of documents and presentation materials, including research assistance. This position requires a proactive, collaborative individual who will work closely and successfully with other key departments and stakeholders, including the Office of the City Manager, Corporate Communications, Councillors’ Administrative Assistant, and the Organization’s larger Executive Assistant Group. We are looking for a results-oriented team member who excels in a fast-pasted work environment, demonstrates tact and diplomacy working in a political environment, and provides a high caliber of public service.
As the Executive Assistant, you will use your exceptional relationship and organizational skills to facilitate public and corporate interaction with the Mayor, by receiving and scheduling their appointments and acting as a liaison with City departments and other external community stakeholders. You will manage day-to-day administration of the Office to plan and coordinate a variety of activities, including special events and travel; review all incoming correspondence and inquiries, compose appropriate responses; and conduct a variety of relevant research. This will include preparing presentations, as the need arises. You are known for your initiative and political acumen in accurately assessing priorities, issues, and ramifications without bias, and exercising sound judgement and decision-making. Your keen attention to detail and articulate, concise, and tactful communication skills (both written and verbal), define your success at this executive level of support.
Your professional skillset is complemented by:
- 3 to 5 years’ experience providing administrative support at an executive level, preferably in a municipal government setting
- Professional designations and/or post-secondary education in Office Administration, will be an asset
- Exceptional leadership, collaboration and team skills to ensure regular communication and successful coordination of activities with other key internal stakeholders
- Adaptability and comfort with change and managing multiple priorities in a high pressure, time sensitive environment
- Strong listening skills, with ability to take direction
- Expert transcribing skills, with the ability to report and summarize discussions
- Experience and capacity to conduct research from an objective standpoint
- Proficient computer skills and willingness to learn new programs
- Experience using Microsoft Office and Adobe software packages, particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Adobe Illustrator
Important Additional Information:
- This position may require the ability to periodically work outside of normal working hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Short-listed candidates will be required to test for skills. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted, once skills testing is complete.
The City of Lethbridge is committed to protecting the safety and health of its employees from the hazard of COVID-19. In support of this responsibility, all new employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, unless exempt on the basis of a protected legal ground.
The City offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive, flexible benefits package.
For further information on this opportunity, please contact:
Bonnie Hilford, City Clerk, at (403) 320-4083 or email@example.com
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume with cover letter, online at:
Closing Date: Friday, October 15, 2021, at 11:59 p.m.
All candidates are thanked in advance for their interest. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Civic Admin. Association