The Association of Summer Villages of Alberta (ASVA), established in 1958, is one of three municipal associations in Alberta and plays a similar role for its members as does the Alberta Urban Municipal Association (AUMA) and Rural Municipal Association (RMA). The ASVA supports all 51 summer villages in the province and is a dynamic association advocating the interests of members to the provincial government and other stakeholders. Through Advocacy, Communication, and Education, the ASVA empowers summer villages in achieving strong and effective local government.
The Executive Director is a part-time position that reports to the ASVA Board of Directors under the President of the ASVA.
1. The Executive Director is responsible for the overall operations and delivery of day-to-day services, including:
- act as the administrative head of the ASVA; and be accountable to the Board of Directors for the administration of the ASVA;
- as a member of the Executive, participate in all discussions including advising, providing assistance, making recommendations and offering support to the Board of Directors on the full range of the matters affecting the ASVA;
- prepare for and attend all meetings of the Association, Executive and Committees, and includes distribution of all materials in a timely fashion prior to the meetings
- provide such written and verbal reports as may be reasonably required by the Board of Directors from time to time;
- provide leadership and ensuring that all of the ASVA's bylaws, policies and programs are effectively coordinated and delivered in a responsive and effective manner,
- establish the office by effectively managing all resources of the ASVA
- prepare the operating budget and the capital budget of the ASVA on an annual basis;
- establish, implement and advocate bylaws, policies, procedures, standards and guidelines in order to achieve the objectives and goals of the ASVA and the Board of Directors and that the appropriate documents are forwarded to Alberta’s corporate registry as required;
- work with the provincial government and other municipal partners in order to foster healthy relationships and achieve the objectives and goals of the ASVA and the Board of Directors;
- attend and participate in events and functions, which will foster and sustain a positive image of the ASVA when available.
2. The Executive Director is responsible for the arrangements and implementation of the Annual Conference and Annual General Meeting, including:
- assist the Chairperson and Committee members in identifying requirements and courses of action in order to successfully organize and execute the annual conference;
- make arrangement for the facility;
- prepare all necessary documentation and distribute according to bylaw requirements;
- prepare an annual report in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
3. The Executive Director is responsible for the Membership of the ASVA:
- ensure Board of Directors have established the annual membership rates and request payments;
- ensure member summer village contact information is kept current
- provide members with information on provincial initiatives and other events or opportunities.
- Possess a Degree and/or Diploma in Business or Public Administration or equivalent. A Degree relating to Project Management or Environmental Studies is also an asset.
- Demonstrated senior level management/administration experience (minimum 5 years);
- Demonstrated financial management and budgeting process skills;
- Must be a strategic thinker and have good people relationship skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of government and other stakeholders. An asset if there is experience and knowledge of summer villages.
- Able to develop & implement communication strategies, briefing notes, planning strategies, correspondence; speak with ease in front of large & small groups.
- Strong business / writing skills working with Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher); work with financial programs (Sage, Quicken, etc.) is an asset
- Can manage social media platforms including updating websites, twitter posts, etc.
Interested applicants are invited to apply in confidence directly to email@example.com