Reporting to the Assistant CAO, this position is responsible for the planning, directing, budgeting and organizing of the Financial Services Department. This position is responsible for achieving and exceeding the established quality standards and complying with all by-laws, policies, regulations, legislation and other criteria in a professional, safe, timely and efficient manner ensuring quality support and information to the public, city council, management in the areas of financial and insurance matters. The City of Wetaskiwin offers an attractive and competitive compensation package including health and dental benefits and a pension program.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership to the Finance department by establishing and monitoring financial policies and procedures in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, the Municipal Government Act and other relevant legislation.
- Supports all city departments in the preparation of operating and capital budgets and forecasts.
- Identifies, assesses and makes recommendations to the Assistant CAO on internal and external issues that impact the City.
- Ensures effective cash monitoring and manage investments.
- Manages the City’s insurance program.
- Manage the taxation function for the city and all associated work related to tax sales.
- Prepare monthly statements identifying operating and capital results, budget variance analysis and presentation of these statements monthly to Senior Management and City Council for their information and provide feedback on their inquiries
- Prepares year end working papers and financial statements in connection with the yearend audit. Liaises with external auditors and assists with audit requirements.
- Provides exceptional leadership to staff by developing capabilities, building effective teams and providing frequent feedback and guidance.
- Foster positive and responsible working relationships with residents and other departments to enhance effective customer service
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge as required
- Assist in determining relevant KPIs and measuring progress towards KPIs
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated leadership skills by encouraging employee participation and development; facilitating professional working standards and obtaining a high degree of customer satisfaction.
- Maintains a current working knowledge of professional accounting practices, related Federal and Provincial legislation, and local government practices.
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity and professional conduct and is perceived as consistent, neutral and objective in business activities.
- Possesses a proven track record of successfully leading and motivating staff.
- Has extensive knowledge of the municipal environment including associated risk management and liability concerns including the municipal government act.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to provide presentations in Council meetings.
- Have a thorough understanding of Public Sector Accounting Standards.
Education and Qualifications
- Professional Accounting Designation (CPA, CA, CGA, CMA) and member in good standing with CPA Canada.
- Minimum of five (5) years of senior level accounting/finance experience in the public sector accounting environment.
- Exceptional working knowledge of Diamond Municipal, Questica Team Budget and Caseware software.
- Must provide a Criminal Records Check prior to employment.
Please forward your cover letter and resume by no later than 11:55 pm on March 29, 2019 to email@example.com.
The City of Wetaskiwin is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.