Reporting to the Corporate Services Director/Chief Financial Officer, the Finance Manager is leader of the Financial Services Department, with responsibility for leading and managing this area for the City of Grande Prairie.
In this critical role, the Finance Manager has oversight and responsibility for the business planning process, and lead/facilitate change in the organization to improve financial processes, reporting, fiscal accountability and best practices within The City of Grande Prairie.
The Finance Manager will assist in the ongoing transforming of the finance department from being decentralized to a centralized function. He/She will work closely with the CFO to continue the implementation of priority based budgeting, and as the City identifies new business opportunities, the Finance Manager will be responsible for analyzing the opportunity for its potential. Growth and opportunity will drive the Finance Manager to success.
Grande Prairie is a place which embraces entrepreneurship, innovation, and new ideas. Having built your career and track record of success in progressively senior roles with a large, complex organization operating in a multi-stakeholder environment, you have a passion for public service and embracing the community in which you live. Come share yours in a high-performance environment with an organization that instills a culture of respect, accountability and customer service.
Lead 16 staff in the Financial Services Department
- Manages, recruits, coordinates, evaluates, trains, mentors and inspires Financial Services staff
- Designs Finance position roles and responsibilities
- Manages the hiring, training, development, motivation, performance evaluation & termination of finance staff
- Adheres to the City of Grande Prairie's Code of Conduct and Guiding Beliefs which govern the actions of all leaders and staff
- Ensures that employees conform to all applicable employment, health and safety legislation and City employment policies and procedures
- Ensures that employees conform to applicable environmental policies, plans and programs as set out in the City's Environmental Sustainability Plan
Responsible for financial services and associated software applications for the City including:
- Cash flow and Investment Management,
- Cash, Accounts Receivable Accounts Payable
- Tangible Capital Assets
- Payroll Employee Benefit Administration
- Operating and Capital Budgets and General Ledger
Manage all general and financial reporting activities for the City:
- Establishes, maintains and enforces internal accounting controls
- Develops and implements standardized operating procedures and processes for the City
- Prepares formal reporting to all levels of government, including annual audited financial statement preparation, grant reporting, statistical reporting and quarterly financial statements for Committees of Council and ad hoc reporting as required
- Manages Request for Proposal process for audit services, banking services, investment services, financial software and other financial services
- Leads year-end external audit, and manages the provision of year-end working papers and other pertinent information to the auditors
- Actively and openly communicates with the Corporate Services Director/CFO as to the status of the challenges and opportunities within the Financial Services Area
Lead Business Planning and Budget process for the City:
- Plans, organizes, implements and coordinates the Business Planning and Priority Based Budget processes for both operating and capital plans in a currently decentralized budget preparation model
- Produces budget documents for review by the Corporate Leadership Team and Corporate Services Committee of Council
- Participates in the development of the Council budget presentation strategy and delivery model
- Develops, prepares and presents the annual property tax levy bylaw
- Provides support to Corporate Leadership Team and department managers in realizing their business plan goals and development needs
Lead special projects and operational initiatives
- Provides project management services relating to software implementations and upgrades for Corporate Services and other City service areas
- Negotiates project scope and cost
- Leads special and one-time projects for the City
- Provides technical support and advice to the Corporate Services Director, other managers and staff
- Participates on task forces and committees to promote and improve City services
- Engages with Provincial and Federal Government Departments, Municipalities, Industry Associations and other organizations. Represents the City and serves on committees as appropriate
Lead and facilitate change in the organization to improve processes and implement best practices
- Researches and recommends enhanced operating and financial functions and processes for implementation
- Provides facilitation, consultation and training services to the organization
- Supports CLT and other managers in promoting best practices and implementing changed processes
- Minimum of 5-6+ years in progressive financial leadership positions in large and complex organizations (i.e. municipal government, provincial government or the private sector) where corporate or broad operational experience or responsibilities would be an asset.
- Demonstrated experience as a leader who is a visionary, credible and trusted role model who inspires and challenges others to achieve their full potential.
- An undergraduate or master's degree in a related field, such as Business Administration, Finance/Accounting plus a professional accounting designation with at least 5-6 years of relevant financial leadership experience, at a senior level.
- Has a track record of developing credibility and earning the respect of internal and external stakeholders. A strong and confident communicator. Proven ability to be able to “think on their feet.”
- Strategic. Can execute a strategy and evolve / develop new strategies to achieve organizational vision and objectives.
ATTRIBUTES AND ABILITIES:
- A leader who is a visionary, credible and trusted role model who inspires and challenges others to achieve their full potential.
- Communicates confidently with impact - able to express thoughts and ideas in a clear, succinct and compelling manner with both tact and diplomacy.
- Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence with the ability to develop relationships easily and deal effectively with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders to achieve results.
- Proven participatory work style; ability to work effectively at all levels of an organization; to work independently and with a team. A mentor, coach and role model to team members.
- Be innovative and creative in looking for solutions. Commitment to incorporating sustainable solutions.
- Recognized for a strong track record of astute business judgment and sound business decisions.
- Results Oriented - sets high goals for personal and team accomplishments, measures progress with metrics, drives to meet or exceed those goals and assumes ownership for outcomes.
- Able to multi-task and excel in a rapidly changing, fast paced and at times time sensitive environment.
- Effectively delegates responsibility and authority to team members. Maintains accountability.
- Acts in a confident and self-aware manner with an impeccable sense of integrity, character and personal values congruent with the City's Guiding Beliefs, coupled with ambition and drive.
- Consistently strives to act in the best interest of an organization and the people it serves. Possesses a high degree of integrity, trustworthiness and reliability.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; respectful, thoughtful and collaborative in interaction with others.
- Has a great sense of humour and is able to use it effectively and appropriately in the workplace.
What We Offer
Grande Prairie is a dynamic urban centre located on the southern edge of the Peace River Region. Strategically situated, it serves residents from Northwestern Alberta, Northeastern British Columbia, and as far away as the Yukon and Northwest Territories. As one of the fastest growing and youngest communities in Canada, the city has experienced rapid growth with a population of over 68,000, serving a broader trading area of over 280,000.
Grande Prairie is located at the heart of a regional transportation network. Highway 43 through Grande Prairie is a major four-lane highway connecting Edmonton with the British Columbia border and the start of the Alaska Highway. Air Canada and WestJet have multiple daily flights from the regional airport. Traveling to and from Grande Prairie has never been easier.
At the City of Grande Prairie, we recognize and value that people have lives outside of work. We offer flexibility with scheduling, have higher than minimum vacation entitlements and comprehensive benefits that not only cover you when you're sick but encourage you to be well. We have wellness events, social activities, community fundraising activities and a supportive work environment where you can grow your career.
The City of Grande Prairie is proud to be an Employer of Choice.
To apply for Finance Manager visit www.cityofgp.com under "jobs" tab, then under "current openings".
Create an account and submit your cover letter and resume. Once you apply and upload a resume you should receive an email confirming that your application has been submitted for this position. If you receive this email, there is no further need to contact us regarding this position.
Applications will be reviewed, short-listed and interviews will be scheduled. Short-listing will take place the week of May 13-17, with interviews scheduled for the week of May 20-24.
We thank you in advance for your interest. Those selected for an interview will be contacted by phone or email. We will contact those who did not make it to the interview stage by email within one month of the closing date of this job posting.
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive per job posting, we are not able to answer job specific questions before the interview stage. If you are successful in getting to the job interview stage, we will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have at that time.