Financial and Accounting Analyst
We are looking for an individual with the great skills and traits noted below to add to our team. This individual will bring their enthusiasm for collaboration, energy, and expertise in relations to the Financial and Accounting Service within Kneehill County, as well as their creative problem solving and overall patience. This is a full-time permanent position working 37.5 hours/week.
Welcome to Kneehill County!
Situated in the heart of central Alberta, Kneehill County is a progressive rural municipality comprised of approximately 814,653 acres of land and a population of 5001. Within the Kneehill County boundaries, are the Towns of Three Hills and Trochu, Villages of Acme, Carbon, and Linden, and 4 Hamlets (Torrington, Huxley, Swalwell, Wimborne) and other neighborhoods (Hesketh, Sunnyslope) with a total population of 11,193.
Today, agriculture remains the backbone of the local economy, complemented by a strong oil and gas industry. Wind power is now a fixture in the Kneehill County hills and skies. We are also part of the Canadian Badlands tourism group. Kneehill County borders the Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller and Rosebud Theatre in Wheatland County, which both play a large part in the tourism of the region. Camping is very popular in our area, which Kneehill County has four overnight campgrounds under its umbrella (Keivers, Braconnier Dam, Swalwell, and Torrington).
Using exceptional analytical capabilities and attention to detail, you will be responsible for key aspects of financial reporting for the County and participating in the creation of the County’s annual audited financial statements. This fast-paced role is looking for an independent and creative thinker in financial analysis, who seeks continuous improvement in the County’s accounting and business systems, processes, and reporting. This position will identify performance, efficiency and innovation improvements on behalf of all departments and prepare various financial analysis (i.e., NPV, Rate or Fee Impacts, etc.). Reporting to the Director of Corporate Services, you will be responsible but not limited to the following duties
- Assists in the preparation of the County’s audited financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). This includes the preparation of various reconciliations, audit file working papers, and coordination of all supporting documentation from various stakeholders within and outside Corporate Services.
- Uses detailed analytic review and audit processes to ensure working papers, both prepared by self and prepared by Bothers, are free from material misstatement to ensure a “clean” audit opinion.
- Prepares financial analysis and presents informative to various audiences.
- Aids the management regarding the design and implementation of effective control-related policies and procedures.
- Assists and trains other staff in more complex reporting and reconciliations, providing back up and assistance for other finance positions as needed.
- Processes journal entries for various transfers and adjustments.
- Provides recommendations for process improvements and assist with implementation and provide training.
- Executes workplan projects to improve and implement financial management systems, integrations, and business processes. Translates business requirements into system functional specifications for various systems that support the County’s finances (Great Plains, Diamond, etc.). Documents finance systems functional requirements, designing and prototyping solution, completing full lifecycle testing.
- Develops training content and conducts training sessions to end-users on financial applications and finance-related business processes.
- Maintains the accounting system by setting up accounts, cost centers, internal orders, fleet equipment, and by maintaining cost center groups and internal order groups.
- Participates in the maintenance and continued improvements to the reporting of Tangible Capital Assets (TCA) for the Corporation. Reviewing and consolidating all TCA transactions. Completes aspects of TCA reporting by verifying settlement of capital projects at year end, reconciling additions, works-in-progress changes, and disposals.
- Supports best practices in financial reporting by collaborating with departments and other Corporate Services staff.
- Assist in other projects as a finance resource.
- Any other related duty as assigned
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in accounting, business or a related field.
- Accounting designation or working towards, or related designations will be considered.
- Minimum 3-5 years of progressive experience accounting at an intermediate level and advanced experience using financial, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Working knowledge of Public Sector Account Board (PSAB) requirements is an asset.
- Experience in cost accounting and able to demonstrate strong analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate (oral and written) at a high level of proficiency.
- Consultative and collaborative approach to working with clients and other team members.
- Excellent communication and public relations skills; positive customer service philosophy.
- An understanding of municipal software, Microsoft Excel and Word would be an asset
- Communication-verbal and written
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Organizational Skills
- Computer Knowledge
- Multi-tasking ability
- Teamwork participation and development
What do we offer?
- Competitive pay
- Group Health Benefits
- Local Authority Pension Plan
- Engaging and empowering work environment
- Strong policies and supportive atmosphere
- Open Door policy for ideas and creativity
- Fun and friendly co-workers
- Training Opportunities
Does this sound like you? Are you interested in getting to know us better?
Check out our website: https://kneehillcounty.com/
Think you may want to join our team?
Send an introductory letter, along with your resume providing at least one example of how you have been a resource of financial knowledge to a current or previous team also provide information as to how you match our list of qualifications and/or skill sets.
Attention: Jessie Kasha – HR Coordinator
RE: Financial and Accounting Analyst
Mailing Address: PO Box 400, Three Hills, Alberta, T0M 2A0
Closing Date: October 29, 2021
We thank all applicants in advance, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
COVID-19 Protocols will be adhered to during this process.