The General Manager, Community Services reports to the Chief Administrative Officer and provides support to Council for the planning, organization and direction of the Community Services Division including Protective Services, Family & Community Support Services, Agricultural Services, Recreation & Culture and Economic Development.
- The General Manager, Community Services has five (5) direct reports: Manager, Protective Services; Manager, Family & Community Support Services; Manager, Agricultural Service, Manager, Recreation & Culture and Manager, Economic Development.
- Supervisory duties include training, budgeting, mentoring, performance evaluations, and coaching / monitoring tasks.
- This position may undertake the role of Acting Chief Administrative Officer if necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
While contributing at the senior management level to the Municipal District’s strategic direction, values and vision, the General Manager, Community Services will perform the following duties:
- Through Department Heads, plans, organizes, directs and controls the Community Services Division; establishes and implements Municipal policy, sets goals and objectives.
- Ensures that policies and programs adopted by Council and / or the Chief Administrative Officer are transmitted to Community Services Managers and employees.
- Provides direction as to policy implementation.
- Administers the Division in conformity with the strategic direction, corporate policy, and all relevant statutes, bylaws and resolutions.
- Ensures reports to Council presented from Departmental Managers meet the objectives of the Chief Administrative Officer and contain the necessary information and recommendations to facilitate Council’s decision making.
- Provides direction and control related to the preparation of the provisional and annual budgets of the Community Services Departments.
- Coordinates and directs the preparation of long-range operational and capital plans.
- Attends all Council meetings and attends meetings of Committees, Commissions and Advisory Bodies on request. During meetings, makes observations, suggestions and recommendations as appropriate.
- Act as a liaison between Council and staff while also ensuring effective communication between staff and Council with regard to operational matters.
- Provides information to Council, staff, media and the general public concerning existing and proposed policies, practices and programs of the Municipality.
- Ensuring that Council approved policies and procedures are adhered to within the division.
- Acting as a liaison with local Boards and Community groups.
- Participating in and encouraging participation by staff in non-departmental corporate projects and teams.
- Ensuring that employees of the division are provided with a safe and healthy workplace consistent with organizational standards and the healthy workplace initiatives
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness and precision.
- Post secondary education in Business or Public Administration, or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- A minimum 5 years’ experience in Senior Management Operations with supervisory experience preferred.
- Class 5 driver’s license.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Extensive use of computer and telephone.
- Long periods of sitting, good lighting, temperature and noise control.
- Minimal physical effort; occasional light lifting.
- Use and operation of a vehicle.
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime may be required.
- Some travel may be required.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.