The General Supervisor will ensure the overall conformance, alignment and effectiveness of the development compliance and business licensing processes by providing leadership, direction and supervision to the Development Compliance, Development Permit Inspection and Lot Grading, and Business Licensing/Vehicle for Hire teams. The focus of this role is to ensure efficient, consistent and quality service delivery, manage complex issues, and develop and maintain effective relationships and communications with several stakeholders.
The Development Compliance and Development Permit Inspection and Lot Grading Teams promote sustainable and responsible development in the City of Edmonton through education, inspections, compliance and, where necessary, enforcement. The Business Licensing and Vehicle for Hire teams oversee the corresponding bylaws, ensuring safe and accessible regulation oversight.
The General Supervisor will:
- Lead, manage and supervise various teams to ensure:
- Lot Grading approvals, inspections and compliance activities are in conformance to the Drainage Bylaw 18093
- The effective and appropriate implementation of the Business Licence Bylaw 13138 and Vehicle for Hire Bylaw 17400
- Decisions, site inspections and inspections of the Development Compliance and Development Permit Inspection teams are are in conformance to approved development permits, Zoning Bylaw 12800, the Municipal Government Act, Statutory Plans, provincial legislation and/or municipal policies and guidelines
- Mentor and coach Senior Planners and other professional and technical staff
- Provide oversight of Council and Committee reports and present reports at Public Hearing or Committees of Council as required
- Facilitate and or participate in meetings with applicants, industry organizations, and internal stakeholders to resolve complex issues, discuss industry and City concerns, and communicate City regulations and provincial requirements
- Set the operational and strategic direction of the team and ensure the completion of work and achievement of goals
- Respond to and resolve issues received from the Mayor, City Councillors, Administration, industry representatives, regulatory bodies, the media, other municipalities, and the general public
- Continuously improve the development compliance, development completion, and Bylaw amendment processes and procedures to ensure an efficient, consistent, aligned service that provides a high level of customer service
- Create a positive, engaged, and cooperative work environment, while motivating staff to grow and develop to their full potential
- Bachelor's Degree, or Masters in Planning, Architecture, Business Administration or related discipline. A combination of related education and experience would be considered
- APPI/CIP regulated members preferred
- Eligibility for membership or a regulated member of the Alberta Professional Planning Institute (APPI) or Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP)
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively related work experience, of which a minimum of three years must be in a leadership capacity
- A thorough and current knowledge of the development permitting and compliance processes, Zoning Bylaw 12800, Municipal Government Act, Drainage Bylaw 18093, Vehicle for Hire Bylaw 17400, Business Licence Bylaw 13138 and relevant City of Edmonton policies and procedures
- Proven skills in leading and motivating teams with a track record of building healthy and positive workplace environments that enable staff to reach their potential while strengthening organizational capacity
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills with experience in solving complex, sensitive, and non-routine problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to present to a political audience
- Ability to effectively interact, communicate, and collaborate with a variety of partners and stakeholders
- Understands the political, social, and economic environment of the organization
- Capable of anticipating, assessing and readily adapting to changing priorities, maintaining resilience in times of uncertainty and effectively working and leading in a changing environment
- Ability to drive change and work with teams to achieve goals
- Strong commitment to providing excellent customer service
- Excellent project management skills
This position is up to 12 months in duration.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Hours of Work: 36.9 hours per week, Monday - Friday
Salary: $110,091 - $137,618 (Annually)
Recruitment Consultant: JM/MZ
Classification Title: General Supervisor
Posting Date: Jan 24, 2018
Closing Date: Feb 9, 2018 11:59:00 PM (MST)
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Project Term (Management) Full-time
Union : Management
Department: Development and Zoning Services (Urban Form and Corporate Strategic Development)
Work Location(s): 5th Floor Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue Edmonton T5J 0J4