The Town of Sylvan Lake is a lakeside town in Central Alberta of over 14,000 people and growing. With close proximity to the major centers of Red Deer, Calgary and Edmonton, we can offer the amenities of larger center with the relaxed living atmosphere offered by a smaller community. With abundant year round recreational and cultural activities, we have definitely earned the name of “Brilliant All Year!” We are a growing and thriving municipality and as such the organization continues to move ahead in a progressive manner.
Do you want the chance to work with an amazing team where our focus is customer excellence and working collaboratively is an ongoing experience? Do you want to have a major impact on driving the culture of the organization? If you are interested in this tremendous opportunity, we have an immediate opening for a:
Human Resource Manager – Permanent Full Time
Reporting directly to the CAO, this position is responsible for the provision of Human Resources for the Municipality including providing leadership, strategic planning, coaching and services to Council, and all levels of management, and staff.
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION:
- Provides leadership, supervision, coaching, and consultation to team members within the Human Resource Team ensuring that staff have latitude for creativity and development.
- Assist in developing all teams in alignment with organizational objectives, culture, best practices and team and individual goals.
- Represents the SMT internally and externally, modelling the desired values, behaviors, confidentiality and professional consideration that contributes to a safe and ethical work environment and healthy team functioning, often in the role of a champion of change.
- Ensures the implementation of programs and initiatives in alignment with Council priorities, business plans, organizational objectives, and regional initiatives.
- Leads the organization’s culture initiatives, ensuring people leaders provide a respectful, inclusive, and engaging environment, where everyone feels respected and supported through empowered employee relations.
- Attends Council meetings, as required, and is entrusted with confidential information in the provision of, technical, operational, and governance advice in the development and continuous improvement of municipal initiatives, Council priorities and objectives.
- Participates in the annual Town budget process by developing responsible and sustainable budgets within the assigned functional area, supporting personnel budget development across all divisions, providing strategic analyses as required to develop budget recommendations for delivery and presentation to Council.
- Performs the role of an internal coach and confidante in support of the development of people leaders, high potential staff members, and any staff members seeking to navigate challenging situations or forward their personal and professional development.
- Provides highly responsible and complex support to the CAO on sensitive issues.
- Oversees the creation, enhancement and implementation of Town and department policies and procedures within legislative, regulatory requirements and best practices.
- Ensure the recruitment and selection process is consistent and always improves the overall talent level of the organization.
- Ensure all Human Resource legal matters are dealt with appropriately and within both Human Rights Legislation and Alberta Employment Standards guidelines.
- Ensure thorough investigations related to Workplace Respect concerns.
- Design, develop and implement succession planning throughout the organization
- Ensures a safe and healthy work environment for staff, visitors, the community and stakeholders.
- Conduct market wage survey information, analyze the data, prepare and deliver budget presentation to CAO and Council for approval.
- Oversee benefit plan and maximize efficiency of the plan – adjust plan when necessary.
- Trusted and Confidential facilitation of employee issues or concerns including referrals through EAP program.
- Develop and implement supervisory training programs for management staff.
- Understanding of the processes and cultures of all departments in order to provide staffing that complements and improves all department.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Completion of a University degree or post graduate certification in Human Resources or a related field.
- Certified Human Resources Practitioner (CHRP) designation.
- A minimum of 10 years of increasing responsibility related experience with demonstrated generalist expertise in all areas of H/R.
- Must have extensive working knowledge of Alberta Employment Standards, Human Rights Legislation, Occupational Health and Safety Legislation, and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Experience and knowledge of pricing, utilization reports, financial accounting of benefit plans including both the costing and delivery of various benefit plans.
- Proven ability to positively influence a corporate culture.
- Demonstrated high degree of confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills with the ability to display empathy, sensitivity, tact, and diplomacy in highly emotional situations.
- Ability to establish trust and credibility at all levels of the organization and with external contacts by earning a reputation as approachable, personable and professional.
- Financial skills to evaluate benefit plan costing, budget analysis, usage of various benefits and impact on organizational effectiveness, etc.
- Able to successfully deliver or be a key resource to deliver organizational programs.
- Ability to write legally clear and binding letters of offer, contracts, terminations, etc.
This is a terrific opportunity to work in a professional, team-focused environment. You have a strong desire to be major contributor to the success of a vibrant and growing organization. If you are up to the challenge of taking ownership and wanting to make a difference, this is an ideal situation. We offer competitive rates, a tremendous benefits package an Earned Day Off program and an excellent work/life balance situation.
If this position intrigues you, please submit your resume in confidence specifying which position you are applying for by June 14, 2021, to:
Town of Sylvan Lake
5012 – 48 Avenue
Sylvan Lake, AB T4S 1G6
Attention: Human Resources
F 403 887 3660