Employment with the City of Beaumont offers an opportunity to make a positive difference in the community! We are a forward thinking organization focused on continuous improvement, innovation, and exceptional customer service. Our Beaumont team is collaborative, professional, and passionate about supporting the vision of a growing, vibrant, and spirited community.
Are you a strategic thinker and relationship builder? Are you someone who is adaptable, who works well under pressure with multiple deadlines? If this is you we want to hear from you! Reporting to the Director, Planning & Development, the Manager, Engineering is the key position responsible for administration, performance, and supervision of the engineering functions of the City, including new infrastructure planning, capital project delivery, and land development. This position is also responsible for building a positive culture between staff and external stakeholders, including residents, council and industry partners, as well as developing positive relationships with various stakeholder groups locally and regionally. Building on Beaumont’s exceptional service levels, the successful candidate is an engaged strong leader who can lead and motivate a diverse team, balance engineering activities for the department, and be a working manager involved in engineering projects and supporting the division’s area of focus.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Manage land development activities to ensure that development of new municipal infrastructure conforms to Area Structure Plans, Master Plans, City guidelines and other relevant documents, and that engineering issues are addressed throughout the planning process
- Ensure that engineering concerns and issues are addressed in a responsive manner
- Lead the preparation of cost estimates for municipal infrastructure improvements and the development of off-site levies or local improvements
- Prepare correspondence, briefings and reports, and attend as the engineering subject matter expert at Council meetings, and other meetings as required
- Lead and mentor team members; supporting an environment that encourages novel and creative thinking
- Participate in regional initiatives as necessary, and continue to build regional relationships and partnerships
- Prepare and monitor expenditures of the department budget
As the ideal candidate, you have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with a P.Eng designation. (A P.Tech (Eng.) in the civil discipline with a minimum of 7 years’ experience may be considered)
- 5+ years of progressive professional experience in civil engineering, preferably related to municipal and transportation infrastructure
- 3 years supervisory experience
- Demonstrated project management skills and the ability to balance multiple projects and priorities to bring projects to completion using sound judgement and initiative
- Practical knowledge and understanding of municipal policies, procedures and processes
- Experience with municipal finance and the budgeting process
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment, initiative and creativity to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to a situation
- Ability to organize, coordinate and follow up on issues/concerns/programs and projects
- Excellent presentation, facilitation, negotiation and conflict resolution skills and demonstrated ability to effectively facilitate the sharing of ideas and information, and lead group discussions
- A team player with a collaborative approach, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong knowledge of computer software (Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD, ArcGIS)
- Successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Record Check and Driver’s Abstract
This position offers a salary range of $95,823 - $125,027 (starting salary is negotiable within this range based on suitable experience and qualifications), a competitive benefits package, enrolment in LAPP, and a 35-hour work week.
If you think you are the one we are searching for, please submit your cover letter and resume, indicating the Job ID number 21-58 in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 26, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.