With a population of 32,097, Parkland County offers a range of municipal services and a vibrant mix of agricultural, residential, industrial and recreational opportunities. This unique rural area is situated on the west outskirts of Edmonton, just 20 minutes from downtown, and stretching over 2438 sq. km. of picturesque landscapes. We are currently inviting applications for a:
Manager, Legislative Services (Permanent, Full-time)
Parkland County has a Permanent, Full-time position available within the Strategic Planning & Intergovernmental Affairs Department for a Manager, Legislative Services. Reporting to the Director, Strategic Planning and Intergovernmental Affairs, the Manager, Legislative Services is responsible for the overall operation of legislative services, including overseeing the development and preparation of Council and committee meeting agendas and ensuring rules of order and parliamentary procedures are adhered to. The Manager, Legislative Services also develops and reviews policies, procedures and bylaws and ensures the effective management of quasi-judicial board operations. In addition to overseeing the Annual Tax Recovery Public Auction and recruiting, orientating and training new public committee members, this position will also provide leadership and supervision to the Legislative Officer and the Administrative Assistant, Subdivision Development Appeal Board (SDAB). Along with well-developed leadership and communication skills, this position requires diplomacy and tact in dealing with a variety of residents, boards and elected officials.
- Degree from an accredited post-secondary institution in Public/Business Administration, Management, Political Science, Law or related field.
- Five years’ experience in public administration, including extensive experience with policy and bylaw development.
- Previous supervisory or leadership training and experience is required.
- Working knowledge of applicable Government Acts (Municipal Government Act and Local Authorities Election Act) and experience working with quasi-judicial boards.
- Membership in, or the ability to obtain membership in the Society of Local Government Managers of Alberta and successful completion of the Subdivision Development Appeal Board (SDAB) and Assessment Review Board (ARB) Clerk training.
- Commissioner for Oaths appointment.
- Possession of a valid Alberta driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
Competition Number: 18-15
Rate of Pay: $100,640 - $125,800 per annum
Hours of Work: 7 hours/day; 35 hours/week
Competition Closing Date: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.
Benefits: Extensive benefits are offered including an option to join our Earned Day Off Program.
Interested candidates are invited to apply on our website at www.parklandcounty.com
Parkland County has a nepotism policy in effect. Please contact Human Resources for further information on this policy (including the definition of a relative under this policy).
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
The personal information submitted pursuant to this advertisement is being collected under the authority of the Municipal Government Act and will be used for Parkland County employment opportunities only. The personal information that you provide may be made public, subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.