Reporting to the Director of Infrastructure & Planning Services, the Manager of Planning and Development Services is responsible for the overall supervision and control of County municipal land use planning and subdivision processes, County development control processes and the management of County-owned lands and land programs. This is a managerial position that also takes primary care and control over major projects and difficult or contentious applications and files.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Strategic Leadership Responsibilities
- Assist in the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets for the areas of responsibility.
- Implement the work programs and policies as approved by County Council for the areas of responsibility.
- Supervise expenditure control within established policy and approved operating and capital budgets for the areas of responsibility.
- Prepare operational and statistical reports for the Chief Administrative Officer/Director for the areas of responsibility.
- Prepare submissions to County Council for consideration and decision.
- Implement and maintain standard operating and administrative policies and procedures for the areas of responsibility.
- Establish and evaluate performance of all department functions.
- Evaluate and prepare policy and bylaw recommendations for the Chief Administrative Officer/Director for the areas of responsibility.
- Ensure all work is carried out in a manner consistent with legislation, bylaws or policies.
- Supervise the human resources assigned to the areas of responsibility within established policies and procedures.
- Prepare annual performance appraisals for all direct report staff and review with same.
- Ensure all work is carried out in a safe and efficient manner.
- Encourage staff mentoring and personal development initiatives.
- Foster a working environment focused on continuous improvement and customer service.
- Supervise the development permit process in accordance with the County land use documents.
- Execute the duties of the Development Authority in accordance with the County Land Use Bylaw and Municipal Development Plan.
- Supervise the subdivision application process in accordance with the County Land Use documents and Municipal development Plan.
- Execute the duties of the Subdivison Authority in accordance with the County Land Use Bylaw and Municipal Development Plan.
- Review and recommend public policy on land use planning to the Chief Administrative Officer and County Council.
- Review and recommend revisions to the County land use planning documents.
- Represent the County on external committees as approved by the Department Director.
- Administer various legal matters in constant consultation with the Chief Administrative Officer and Department Director.
- Advise the Chief Administrative Officer/Director on the development and sale of County owned land.
- Act in the lead role for all County initiated area structure plans working with outside consultants as required
- Take primary control and direction of difficult and/or contentious applications within the function area.
- Ensure the addressing system meets all County needs and make recommendations and improvements as required.
- Work is conducted in an office environment with long periods of sitting and in a field environment requiring travel.
- Position involves managing both short-term and long-term projects/files.
- Public contact is often confrontational.
- Post-secondary training in Land Use Planning. This may include completion of a College Diploma or Land Use Planning Certificate.
- Strong knowledge of land planning theory, concepts, skills and tools
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License
- Defensive driving
- Strong knowledge of municipal legislation, regulations and bylaws
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Demonstrated supervisory skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Five (5) years experience in a Supervisory capacity in a Municipal Planning setting, preferably as a Manager, Senior Development Officer or related position.
- Five (5) years experience in a position with responsible independent decision making capacity in a Municipal Planning setting
- Bachelors Degree in Land Use Planning or related discipline