Reporting to the Director of Development, Engineering, & Operations, the Manager of Utilities is responsible for managerial oversight of the Utilities Department which includes freshwater treatment and distribution, wastewater treatment and collection, and solid waste collection services. The Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing work assignments, providing staff training and support, developing logistics and strategies to ensure efficient use of monetary, equipment and materials resources, and providing input into capital and operating budgets.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads and manages resources within the Utilities Department including staff, costs, equipment, contracts, and materials to deliver program services within the approved budget, operating policies, procedures, and applicable legislation.
- Oversees and provides management oversight to all functional areas of the Utility Department including infrastructure failure response, training, information technology, communication, building and equipment life cycle maintenance and replacement, pre-planning/inspections, and other duties as required.
- Examines and recommends efficiencies or changes to service delivery methods with the goal of improving our service and aligning with industry established best practices.
- Coordinates and prepares reports and presentations to Council and other agencies as required.
- Provides active leadership and manages performance in a unionized environment.
- Assists in the development of the Utilities Department operating and capital budgets.
- Participates in the development of department strategic plans, goals, and objectives.
- Ensures positive interaction with taxpayers, the general public, staff at all levels within the Municipality, the media, other municipalities, senior government departments, and any other group with potential interactions with the Municipality.
- Takes a leadership role with regard to Municipal Emergency Preparedness including incident command in situations of natural or man-made threats. Will be expected to take an Emergency Management role such as Deputy Operations Chief in the EOC/ECC when activated.
- Liaise with representatives of neighboring municipalities to ensure adequate mutual aid agreements are in place to mitigate major incidents.
- The duties and responsibilities outlined above are representative but not all-inclusive.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of water and wastewater treatment systems and practices.
- Knowledge of water and wastewater distribution and collection systems.
- Knowledge of Alberta Environment and Environment Canada testing and reporting procedures.
- Knowledge of the safe work practices involved in the handling and use of hazardous materials.
- Knowledge of emergency preparedness and response.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, to interact with public, staff, and external agencies.
- Excellent conception and analytical skills, with strong facilitation and influencing skills.
- Skill in the application of lab analysis procedures and practices.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Proficiency with Microsoft (Outlook, Word, Excel), SCADA, and GIS.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and within a team environment.
- Ability to adapt to a demanding and dynamic work environment.
- Ability to interpret, develop, implement, and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
- Ability to deal effectively with conflict resolution.
- Time and project management experience.
- Ability to be a positive leader and maintain strong morale with staff.
COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
- Leadership Skills: Provides leadership while guiding, supporting, and mentoring staff. Acts as a positive role model with the ability to communicate potential opportunities to departments while empowering staff and incorporating the views of others.
- Management Skills: Motivates, directs and evaluates staff while planning overall workforce. The ability to manage effectively while maintaining a friendly approachable attitude.
- Financial Management: Leads with a strong sense of service delivery while integrating financial planning, budgeting, and management reporting.
- Communication Skills: A clear, concise, and positive communicator who is able to build trust through presenting ideas clearly while effectively listening to others. Demonstrates a strong ability to work effectively within a public sector environment and is politically astute and media savvy.
- Flexible and Adaptive: Able to change gears quickly in an ever-changing environment. The ability to demonstrate flexibility and openness to changes in work, personnel or team responsibilities or portfolios.
- Interpersonal Communication: An integral part of a professional team with high ethical standards and an honest, consistent style of working co-operatively with others. The ability to work and lead in a professional manner while also allowing for creativity within the workplace.
- Conflict Resolution: A consensus builder with a proven ability of positively engaging people from diverse or polarized positions in problem-solving. Able to develop proactive solutions through the use of interest-based negotiations demonstrating strong conflict resolution skills.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The position requires the following qualifications:
- Preference will be given to Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Technologist (P.Tech. or P.L.(Eng.)) with training and experience specific to water and wastewater systems.
- Five years of experience in working with water and wastewater systems.
- Three years management experience.
- Advanced proficiency with computer systems and software.
- General knowledge of municipal operations and enabling legislation.
- Class 5 Drivers License.
The following would be considered an asset:
- Certification(s) from Alberta Environment in Wastewater Collection, Wastewater Treatment, Water Distribution and/or Water Treatment.
- ICS 200.
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
To apply for this position please visit our website.