PCPS is a shared planning department and planning consultancy operated by member municipalities in Central Alberta. We assist and work closely with member and client municipalities and private sector clients to successfully respond to their land use and community planning needs. Our scope of practice is diverse; ranging from development permit review to subdivision approval to visioning and master planning for entire communities.
The Planner works on a vast variety of planning related projects and assignments. A typical day can involve assisting with interpretation of the Land Use Bylaw, organizing and hosting a major public engagement event, or laying out the concept plan for a future industrial park. The Planner may be called upon to work on subdivision processing and review, Land Use Bylaw amendments and updates, preparation of area structure plans and area redevelopment plans, and similar major studies and initiatives. Training and orientation for Councils and municipal staff on planning related matters also falls within the Planner’s area of responsibility.
The breadth, scope and type of planning work and the uniqueness of each community that PCPS planners assist creates diverse work experience opportunities and chances to hone your skills.
PCPS seeks a talented, individual with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong work ethic, and a desire to provide the highest quality of professional planning services.
You possess the following qualifications:
- A post-secondary degree in planning from a program accredited by the Canadian Institute of Planners or a closely related discipline
- Membership or eligibility for membership with the Alberta Professional Planners Institute
- Registered Professional Planner (RPP) designation or ability to achieve within two or three years
- A minimum of a valid Class 5 Drivers license
You possess the following skills and abilities:
- Solid understanding of urban and rural planning processes, principles and concepts and ability to apply these concepts and principles in projects and assignments
- Understanding of applicable legislation and regulatory requirements in Alberta is preferred but not mandatory
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to use graphics to convey ideas and ability to prepare concise and informative presentations and reports
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy when working with the public, municipal staff, applicants, and other parties and build positive working relationships
- The ability to critically assess information and thoughtfully solve problems of a complex and technical nature
- Self-motivated with an ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to work as part of a team
- Excellent organizational, time management, project management, and prioritizing skills
- A commitment to ongoing professional learning and development
- Strong customer service skills and ability to help members and clients with their priorities
- Proficient in the use of the MS Office suite of programs and working knowledge of the use of GIS systems
In addition to the opportunity to challenge yourself and grow and expand your work experience as a professional planner, PCPS offers:
- Competitive salary, excellent benefits package, and pension plan through LAPP
- Dedicated resources for ongoing professional training and development and coverage of annual professional membership fees
- Annual paid vacation and flexible work arrangements to balance family and personal life with the delivery of services to members and clients
Please forward your cover letter and resume in confidence to Craig Teal, Director, Parkland Community Planning Services via email at email@example.com. Please use Word or pdf format files only and indicate “planner position” in the subject line of your email. Your cover letter should summarize your qualifications, provide three (3) employment related references, and provide your expectations regarding annual salary and start date.
This opportunity will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
PCPS thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.