If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary. City employees deliver the services, run the programs and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance and offer competitive wages, pensions, and benefits. Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
As a member of the Anti-Racism Program team, you will lead components of work related to the Notice of Motion passed by Council in June 2020, entitled Calgary’s Commitment to Anti-Racism . Specifically, as the Public Safety Lead you will provide direct supervision to staff and will interface with the Anti-Racism Action Committee and key public safety partners such as Calgary Transit, Calgary Community Standards, Corporate Security and Calgary Police Service. The key objective of this role is to provide strategic leadership, consultation, facilitation and coordination to the development of anti-racism strategies and actions for City programs and services focusing on public safety outcomes, particularly on citizen and customer experience when interacting with City service providers. As an advisor and subject matter expert you will:
- Work collaboratively with key stakeholders to further define the anti-racism public safety scope and program approach, including phasing, evaluation and implementation considerations.
- Lead a collaboration of public safety stakeholders, including the Calgary Police Service, to identify public safety issues related to racism and discrimination and develop anti-racism strategies and policies to address.
- Collaborate with Calgary Transit, Calgary Community Standards and Corporate Security to address citizen feedback on public safety concerns, ensuring the inclusion of diverse voices and perspectives in the development of public safety anti-racism strategies.
- Facilitate anti-racism public safety planning sessions with key stakeholders
- Work closely with senior leaders in The City to identify appropriate actions, timelines and metrics to improve citizens’ experience with City public safety providers.
- Provide leadership to program staff including supervision and direction, hiring and retention, staff development and mentoring, and performance management.
- Lead collaboration efforts with other community leaders that identify opportunities for The City to collaborate on anti-racism public safety activities/projects/strategies that further advance anti-racism outcomes for Calgary.
- A related graduate degree with at least of 5 years of experience; OR
- A related degree with at least of 8 years of experience. Experience must include public safety sector service, strategic leadership, supervision of staff, community service delivery, policy development and working collaboratively to lead change and innovation. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience in leading change initiatives demonstrating positive outcomes in community public safety.
- Knowledge of and experience with equity, diversity and inclusion activities, anti-racism, coalition building, and systemic change within a public safety environment is considered an asset.
- Lived experience as a member of an underrepresented community or experience working with and as an ally to persons from underrepresented communities is considered an asset.
- An inclusive, action-oriented leader, with demonstrated political acumen, strategic framing experience, and the ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships.
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
Business Unit: Community Services
Position Type: Temporary (up to 24 months)
Location: 800 MacLeod Trail SE
Compensation: Level F $88,307 - 135,252 per annum
Days of Work: This position works a 5 day
work week earning 1 day off in a 3 week cycle.
Hours of work: Standard 35 hour work week
Job ID #: 304111
We value diversity of expertise, talent and opinion which creates an innovative and collaborative environment. We are committed to a respectful and inclusive workplace and welcome applications from all qualified individuals.
To apply for this position please visit our website.