DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs, manages and monitors the activities of the Public Works department.
- Plans, prioritizes and ensures the implementation of public works maintenance and construction programs.
- As a working Foreman, operates and ensures a well trained staff in the operations all of the Village equipment, processes and tools.
- Advises Public Works Committee with respect to all Public Works departmental activities. Prepares reports for the Public Works Committee and Council.
- Assists in developing policies, procedures and programs for roads, sewage works, and waterworks, streetlights, drainage and garbage collection.
- Directs the activities of subordinates including performance evaluation, monitoring daily activities.
- Responds to inquiries and investigates complaints from the public.
- Assists the CAO in preparing the departmental budget for Council approval and monitors the Budget with the CAO.
- Assists in reviewing and approving engineering drawings with Engineers and Contractors for all department construction works and prepares tenders and contracts for various Public Works activities.
- Works to plan the implementation of Village projects and department goals.
- Prepares an annual work plan and schedule outlining the manner in which the department will fulfill its goals and assumes responsibility and accountability for those objectives.
- Participates as a member of the senior management team in planning for the provision of services to the residents of Rycroft.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the CAO.
Minimum Skills, Abilities and Qualifications
Ideally, the candidate shall have a Civil Engineering diploma/degree from a recognized post-secondary institution, be registered with ASET professional association (if out of Province, transferable to Alberta), a minimum of 3 to 5 years of municipal operations experience in a similar position, or at a minimum, you are a seasoned senior public works foreman in a municipality.
Your experience shall include some related aspect of civil engineering, budget control, personnel management, and effective oral and written communication skills. The Foreman shall have the ability to organize personnel and assign tasks effectively to achieve department goals. The position provides for considerable latitude for judgment and requires the development of procedures and policies.
- Completion of Water Treatment and Water Distribution System Class 2 Certificate of Competency would be an asset.
- Completion of Class I Waste Water Collection System Certificate of Competency would be an asset.
- A valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s license with an acceptable abstract and a positive Criminal Records Check is required.
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with staff, elected officials, contractors and consultants, as well as the general public.
- A demonstrated track record of leadership and direction with prior management experience preferably in a municipal setting.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Experience in implementing development plans, capital works and infrastructure improvement programs.
- Proven municipal experience in water and sewer installation and maintenance, as well as road construction and maintenance.
- Knowledge in developing budget estimates and evaluating programs/services.
- Knowledge of current legislation (workplace safety & health, employment standards).
- Understanding of community planning and development concepts and land development along with prior experience understanding official Community Plans, General Municipal Plans, Land Use Zoning Bylaws.
- Ability to proactively work with private sector developers in moving projects forward while protecting municipal interests.
- Prior experience in maintaining and developing public works, utility and municipal civic infrastructure and building assets (including community halls, library, seniors and recreation facilities).
- Ability to develop a long term infrastructure maintenance and replacement programs.
- Highly developed written communication skills.
- Previous experience managing public works personnel.
Under the general direction of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the incumbent is responsible for the overseeing, planning, organizing and directing all operations including construction, design and development, public works, parks, playgrounds, solid waste, recycling, water, waste water, storm drainage, utility and utility maintenance. Also, the incumbent participates fully as part of the Management Team for the Village to ensure a coordinated effort in the delivery of all essential services.
Specific Position Requirements
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build positive relationships of trust with staff, Council and the public.
- Working conditions contain moderate risks which require planned safety precautions for limited periods of time.
- Entails moderate levels of mental stress and pressure.
- Requires a proactive and flexible approach.
- May be subjected to inclement weather when conducting site inspections.
- May be required to attend evening meetings and all regular or any special council meetings as scheduled. Flexible work hours are essential to meet operational requirements.
- Computer literacy skills with emphasis on Microsoft Office, and Civil Engineering software including AutoCAD and GIS.
- Knowledge of current legislation (workplace health & safety, WCB, employment standards, etc.).
- Understanding of municipal budgeting and knowledge of street construction and drainage systems;
- May be required to respond to emergency situations.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary range for the position is $75,000 - $95,000/year and the Village will compensate the employee for travel in and out of the municipality as per Village policy.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
The primary contact regarding this recruitment will be the CAO at e-mail: cao(at)rycroft.ca
All correspondence or inquiries specific to this proposal can be forwarded to:
Village of Rycroft
PO Box 360
4703 – 51St Street
Rycroft, AB T0H 3A0