FULL TIME PERMANENT POSITION
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in the operation and maintenance of water distribution and chlorination system.
- Daily check of the reservoir includes recording pumping volumes and regular maintenance as requested by the Foreman.
- Assist in the operation and maintenance of sewer collection, treatment, and disposal systems such as the lagoon and storm sewers.
- Ability to operate and assist in the maintenance of all public works equipment, which may include tractors, mower, street sweeper and various small tools.
- Assist with the construction of municipal services undertaken by contract, which may include installation and repair of water and sewer service lines and mains, fire hydrants, streets, and sidewalks.
- Assist in the maintenance and repair of park, campground, walking paths and other Village owned areas and facilities. Responsibilities may include trimming of grass and trees, watering of newly planted trees, keeping signs in repair, and garbage removal from public areas, snow removal, bridge repairs, etc.
- Conduct bi-monthly water meter readings and attend to water turn on/off requests.
- May be responsible for direction and supervision of other temporary outside employees hired for Public Works.
- Ensure all Occupational Health Regulations affecting work and operation of equipment is adhered to.
- Attend safety meetings as required and assist in the preparation and upkeep of Village Safety Manual and Loss Prevention Program
- Assist in the maintenance of the Village shop and in maintaining its inventory in a clean and orderly manner.
- Perform other related duties as required by the Public Works Foreman and/or Municipal Administrator.
Minimum Skills, Abilities & Qualifications
Ideally the candidate shall have a minimum of 1-3 years of municipal operations experience in a similar position.
- Water Distribution System Class 1 Certificate of Competency.
- Current Class 1 Wastewater Collection System Certificate of Competency/Wastewater Treatment Level 1 Certificate of Competency.
- Must have valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s license with acceptable abstract and a clean Criminal Records Check (with air endorsement preferred).
- Grade 12 or equivalent level of education.
Desired Skills & Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with the general public, staff, elected officials, contractors, and consultants.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proven municipal experience in water and sewer maintenance, as well as road maintenance.
- Computer skills
Training will be provided for a suitable candidate.
The position reports directly to the Public Works Foreman.
Specific Position Requirements
- Working conditions contain moderate risks which require planned safety precautions for limited periods of time.
- Ability to work in all manner of weather conditions.
- Entails moderate levels of mental stress and pressure.
- Ability to be able to work flexible work hours to meet operational requirements.
- May be required to respond to emergency situations.
The Village of Linden offers a competitive compensation/benefits package.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing “Public Works Assistant” in the subject line.This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Village of Linden
Linden AB T0M 1J0