The Village of Forestburg is seeking a highly motivated individual with strong organizational and communication skills and experience in the operations and maintenance of a municipality to head up our Public Works team.
- Directs, manages and monitors the activities of the Public Works department.
- Plans, prioritizes and ensures the implementation of public works maintenance and construction programs.
- As a working Foreman, operates and ensures a well-trained staff in the operations all of the Village equipment, processes and tools.
- Advises the Chief Administrative Officer with respect to all Public Works departmental activities. Prepares reports for Council.
- Assists in developing policies, procedures and programs for roads, sewage and waterworks, streetlights, drainage and municipal beautification projects.
- Directs the activities of subordinates including performance evaluation, monitoring daily activities.
- Responds to inquiries and investigates complaints from the public.
- Assists the CAO in preparing the departmental budget for Council approval and monitors the budget with the CAO.
- Assists in reviewing and approving engineering drawings with Engineers and Contractors for all department construction works and assists with the preparation of tenders and contracts for various Public Works activities.
- Works to plan the implementation of Village projects and department goals.
- Prepares an annual work plan and schedule outlining the manner in which the department will fulfill its goals and assumes responsibility and accountability for those objectives.
- Participates as a member of the senior management team in planning for the provision of services to the residents of Forestburg.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the CAO.
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with staff, elected officials, contractors and consultants, as well as the general public.
- A demonstrated track record of leadership and direction with prior management experience preferably in a municipal setting.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Experience in implementing development plans, capital works and infrastructure improvement programs.
- Proven municipal experience in water and sewer installation and maintenance, as well as road construction and maintenance.
- Level I Certificate for Water Treatment and Water Distribution.
- Level I Certificate of Competency for Waste Water Collection and Disposal.
- A valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s license with an acceptable abstract and a positive
- Knowledge in developing budget estimates and evaluating programs/services.
- Knowledge of current legislation (workplace safety & health, employment standards).
- Prior experience in maintaining and developing public works, utility and municipal civic infrastructure and building assets (including community halls, library, office buildings and recreation facilities).
- Ability to develop a long term infrastructure maintenance and replacement programs.
- Highly developed written communication skills.
- Previous experience managing public works personnel.
- Reports directly to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
Specific Position Requirements
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build positive relationships of trust with staff, Council and the public.
- Working conditions contain moderate risks which require planned safety precautions for limited periods of time.
- Entails moderate levels of mental stress and pressure.
- Requires a proactive and flexible approach.
- May be subjected to inclement weather.
- May be required to attend evening meetings and all regular or any special council meetings as scheduled. Flexible work hours are essential to meet operational requirements.
- Computer literacy skills with emphasis on Microsoft Office, and Civil Engineering software including AutoCAD and GIS.
- Knowledge of current legislation (workplace health & safety, WCB, employment standards, etc.).
- Understanding of municipal budgeting and knowledge of street construction and drainage systems;
- May be required to respond to emergency situations.
Closing Date: This posting will remain open until a suitability candidate is found.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary range for the position is $71,000 - $83,000/year plus a full benefits package including LAPP and an RRSP program.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
A copy of the full job description for this position is available on www.forestburg.ca.
Applications, including copies of Water/Waste Water Certificates and a 5-year drivers abstract may be submitted to:
Village of Forestburg
Debra Moffatt, CAO
PO Box 210
Forestburg, AB T0B 1N0