The Town of Slave Lake has an opening for a dynamic self starter to join our Public Works team.
Reporting to the Public Works Lead Hand (or designate) the Public Works Operator performs various duties including manual labour and operations of equipment used in the maintenance of streets, utilities and any other facility under Town responsibility.
GENERAL DUTIES OF THIS POSITION:
- Displays effective communication (verbal and written,) customer service and interpersonal skills to effectively maintain professional relationships and communications with management, coworkers, internal customers and the public.
- Has a clear understanding of departmental operations and has experience carrying out all tasks and functions of this position.
- Performs daily safety and maintenance checks, minor repairs and maintains logs. Advises supervisor of any mechanical or safety issues.
- Fit and capable to perform manual labour tasks such as shoveling, lifting heavy objects, trimming brushes or trees, steaming culverts, installing fences, potholing, line painting etc.
- Operates heavy equipment in a safe and effective manner following all applicable legislation, policies, and procedures (for example: Town of Slave Lake Municipal Bylaws and Regulations, Traffic Safety Act, Alberta OH&S Act, Regulations and Code etc.).
- Willing to work in all types of weather conditions.
- Cleans equipment as scheduled or required and ensures equipment is safely stored.
- Installs or removes special equipment and attachments.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Attends All-Staff Meetings.
- Reports any health and safety related concerns promptly to the Health & Safety Coordinator.
- Reports all damages and accidents immediately in a written incident report to the Public Works Lead Hand or the Operations Department Health & Safety Representative.
Days and hours of work may vary. A work week will consist of forty hours per week, with a requirement to be on-call on a regular basis. Subject to call-out in an emergency.
EDUCATION AND REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS POSITION:
- Grade 12 Diploma, or equivalent
- Valid Alberta Class 3 Driver’s License
- Experience Operating Heavy Equipment Certificate is an asset
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
How to apply:
Send cover letter (indicating position you are applying to) and your resume to:
Human Resources, Town of Slave Lake
10 Main Street S.W. P.O. Box 1030,
Slave Lake, Alberta T0G 2A0
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates invited for interviews will be contacted.