The Accountant is responsible for Wesley First Nation’s (WFN) financial plans and policies, its accounting practices, the conduct of its relationships with lending institutions and the financial community, the maintenance of its fiscal records, and the preparation of financial reports and budget reports. This position also oversees all accounting procedures within the Big Horn Medical Services (BHMS) as well. This position involves supervision over accounts payable, accounts receivable, cost accounting, and budgetary controls.
Job Duties (WFN and BHMS)
- Oversee the Maintenance of books of account (including but not limited to preparing checks, coding and posting invoices, preparing deposits, journal entries, reconciliations)
- Serve as final point of escalation for Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable.
- Prepare monthly / quarterly financial statements for project staff and CFO review prior to Wesley First Nation Council.
- Liaise with Program Managers and support them in book-keeping needs related to their program areas.
- Oversee accounts receivable.
- Oversee time sheets and payroll change forms from Departments.
- Oversee internal system of handling funds.
- Maintain year-end working papers and spreadsheets, and assist with preparation for any audits or independent reviews with support from Stoney Tribal Administration (STA) and CFO.
- Complete profit and loss statements for Wesley Card Lock station and other small businesses that may be started.
- Maintain an accurate and complete trail of supporting documentation for all financial and bookkeeping activities.
- Maintain up-to-date, complete and systematic filing system to support book-keeping and financial records.
- Report and monitor performance against budget.
- Responsible for evaluating the performance of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable clerks. This individual recommends training requirements, has the duty to keep the staff at the highest level of skill necessary to meet company needs and objectives, and may recommend that personnel be hired or removed from the Department.
- Furnishes internal reports, revises and updates reports to be more useful and efficient, and furnishes external reports as necessary.
Job specification of Accountant
- CPA Designation
- At least five years experience as an Accountant, preferably in a non-profit organization with a budget of at least $10 million.
- Experience working in Payroll and Human Resources.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills.
- Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
- Significant experience in or knowledge of non-profit accounting, including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting. Ability to interpret and implement WFN Human Resource policies and WFN Financial Policies and procedures.
If you are interested, please submit your resume, cover letter and two reference letters with permission to contact them to;
Stoney Tribal Administration
c/o Stoney Nakoda Human Resources
This opportunity will remain open until appropriate candidates are found. We thank all applicants for their interest in the First Nation but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.