Senior Building Safety Codes Officer
Job Number: # J0118-0286
Job Type: Permanent –Full-time
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Number of Positions: 1
Salary: $84,936 – $99,800
As one of Canada’s fastest growing municipalities, Rocky View County offers significant opportunities for professional development. Our dedicated employees work with a variety of stakeholders to develop innovative and unique solutions for the complexities of rural and urban development. We seek individuals who thrive on challenges, who provide excellent customer service in a fast-paced environment, and whose positive energy enables the County to grow and prosper.
The Building Senior Building Safety Codes Officer (SCO) is responsible for the inspection and enforcement of building plans and on-site construction in compliance with the Alberta Safety and Land Use Bylaw.
- Inspect buildings under construction to ensure conformity to examined plans and Alberta Building Code. Maintain log of all construction activity in accordance with the Building Quality Management Program (QMP).
- Review building plans through consultation with homeowners and designers to ensure minimum standards are applied according to the Alberta Building Code.
- Issue building permits. Ensure all applications are in compliance with Land Use Bylaw (setbacks, heights, minimum floor areas, uses) and Alberta Building Code. • Monitor and report building or other development activity undertaken without required approval.
- Collaborate with various inspection agencies (plumbing and gas, health and fire) as required to determine best practices.
- Responsible for mentoring safety codes personnel. • Liaise with all levels of the Development Services department, as well as other departments to increase effective communication and expedite resolution concerns, questions and issues.
- Act in a professional and responsible manner to protect the integrity of employees and the business of the County.
- Display a professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use information appropriately, and maintain the confidentiality and security of all information related to employees, business and residents of Rocky View County.
- Adhere to Health and Safety Legislation and Rocky View safe work policies and procedures at all times, ensuring the protection and safety of self, co-workers, the public and environment.
- Possess a Journeyman Carpenter or Civil/Architectural Technology background; supplemented by twelve years relevant building construction experience from plan preparation through to actual construction with supervisory experience with at least 5 years as a Safety Codes Officer. Group 3 Building Certification supplemented by additional Certification or by long term experience as a Safety Codes Officer.
- Certification as a Safety Codes Officer through the Safety Codes Council. • Display strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Possess excellent attention to detail, organizational, prioritizing and time management skills.
- Demonstrate time management, organizational and decision making ability. • Demonstrate superior customer service skills to both internal and external customers.
- Proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access).
- Possess a valid class 5 driver’s license.
This opportunity will be posted until a suitable candidate is selected. Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to www.rockyview.jobs.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.