Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Senior Manager of Planning and Development is a key contributor to the Senior Management Team. This position is responsible and accountable for the direction, organization, facilitation and administration of land use planning and growth management, zoning, community and social planning, building inspection, mapping, permits & licenses and safety codes services for the County, in accordance with council’s policies & priorities, approved budgets and rate payer’s expectations.
The position is expected to exercise considerable initiative and is permitted considerable independent judgment and action in carrying out the duties of the position. The work is periodically discussed with, and reviewed by, the Chief Administrative Officer for conformance to good practice, established policy, and attainment of objectives; departmental succession planning reports to the CAO are to be submitted on an annual basis with departmental budgets.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Planning or a related field. Completion of a Master’s Degree is considered an asset.
- Full membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners preferred.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of professional experience including over five (5) years of progressive management experience, ideally in diverse municipal settings.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in developing and maintaining strong relationships with community and commercial/industrial groups.
- Knowledge of both urban and rural planning issues.
- Combination of equivalent education and experience may be considered.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Superior understanding of the Municipal Government Act and related statutes, laws, regulations and precedents respecting Municipal Government, with emphasis on land use planning and zoning, community planning, social planning, engineering and environmental services;
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and processes involved in community planning;
- Strong project management and well-developed research, comprehensive report writing, analysis and ability to present results to all levels in the organization.
- Ability to serve elected officials and public with tact, impartiality, while preserving confidentiality and sensitivity on issues and material dealt with on a regular basis;
- Planning, management, negotiating, analytical, collaboration, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational, presentation, project management and problem solving skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, leaders, and external contacts and interacts in a manner that builds trust, credibility, and rapport.
Salary range is $122,467.80 to $158,485.60 annually
- Lac La Biche County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including:
- 100% Employer paid Health and Dental Benefits
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Local Authorities Pension Plan
- Competition Number: 09-SMPD-18
- Closing Date: Competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Interested candidates are invited to forward their resume in strict confidence to:
Attention: Human Resources
Lac La Biche County
Box 1679 Lac La Biche, AB T0A 2C0
We thank all interested applicants; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.