As Alberta's 'Botanical Arts City', St. Albert is a community renowned for its botanical arts, its commitment to a green lifestyle and the cultivation of activities that provide for a well-rounded quality of life. Our employees provide over 64,000 residents with high-quality programs and services and are proud to contribute to making St. Albert one of the best places to live in Canada.
The City of St. Albert is recruiting for a Supervisor, Transportation operations to join our Public Operations department. Reporting to the Manager, this position will be responsible for short term branch planning, operational procedures and practices and the day-to-day operations of the Public Works branch of Public Operations. This includes scheduling, managing and monitoring work distribution as well as overseeing contracted services to ensure proper maintenance of City infrastructure.
Principle accountabilities of this position include:
- Providing daily direction to 30+ unionized full time, 15+ part-time and seasonal staff, and contracted services.
- Working closely with the Manager to establish goals for the branch and to plan, develop and monitor operating and capital budgets.
- Participate in the development, evaluation and transition of Request for Proposals and tender contracts.
- Recruitment, orientation and performance management of the Public Works branch team.
- Provide leadership in terms of Occupational Health & Safety.
- Responds to requests from internal and external customers.
- Direct work assignments of contractors hired within the branch and monitor the completion of all assignments.
- Demonstrate leadership in adapting to innovative work environments and ensuring the branch employees are aware of department initiatives, decisions, committees, policies, etc.
- Track material costs, labour and departmental breakouts enabling accurate assessments in maintenance equipment and departmental requirements.
- Completion of a diploma or degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in Civil Engineering or a related discipline. An equivalent combination of education and directly related experience may be considered.
- A minimum of 5 years progressive experience in management and supervision of staff, preferably in a municipal or unionized environment.
- A Class 5 Drivers License is required.
- Eligible APWA Supervisor Level certification may be considered an asset. .
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, and the ability to learn new technology as required.
- Membership with APEGA or ASET is an asset.
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification.
$85,540 - $105,280 per annum. In addition, the City of St. Albert offers a comprehensive benefit package.
HOURS OF WORK
We offer a compressed work schedule of 72 hours bi-weekly (Monday – Friday, with a regular day off [RDO] every two weeks). The position requires the ability to work extended hours on occasion to complete special requests or projects, coordinate/ participate in evening and off-hours meetings, and respond to emergencies.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a satisfactory police information check.
Qualified applicants are invited submit their cover letter and resume via the City of St. Albert Employment website www.stalbert.ca/employment
September 24, 2021
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.