The Tourism Marketing and Economic Development Coordinator is responsible for providing proposing all approved County tourism and economic development activities and initiatives, preparing marketing materials, attending exhibits and trades shows, responding to requests for economic information and in promoting the attractiveness of the County to the business community. The incumbent directly reports to the Chief Administrative Officer.
The outcome of this person’s work will be the contribution to the development of niche products (ex. outdoor-based products, historical and cultural products) that contribute to building tourism opportunities along with economic initiatives within Lac La Biche County.
This position will increase the County’s exposure, profile and direct tourism marketing efforts as well as business investment opportunities.
- Work with industry stakeholders, local government, First Nations and other agencies and organizations to support and influence initiatives that capitalize on Lac La Biche County’s strategic advantage for tourism related opportunities;
- Explore all practical strategies that could increase tourism related opportunities in Lac La Biche County and foster the growth of these opportunities;
- Supports the efforts of industry stakeholders to identify, develop and deliver compelling attractions, activities, events and experiences that contribute to a destination's competitive advantage through such approaches as focusing on niche product development opportunities
- Collaborates and coordinates with other levels of governments (ex. Federal and Provincial), site destination marketing organizations, regional economic development organizations, and public and private industry to promote the County;
- Supports local and regional efforts to set action oriented strategies, based on research and trends, to target businesses to open outlets in the County;
- Promote economic development information on the County’s website in a timely manner and ensure it is updated on a quarterly basis;
- Coordinate the real estate related projects on behalf of the County including the coordination of property sales, purchases and lease agreement administration.
- Conduct regular research County business leaders to determine needs and opportunities;
- Respond to all external/internal information requests in a timely manner, especially investment inquiries;
- Liaise closely with the Planning & Development Department about development needs and potential investment opportunities;
- Develop and maintain a business directory, community economic profiles, surveys, reports and other economic development documentation;
- Maintain positive business relationships with Community Futures, the Chamber of Commerce, Parkland College, Alberta Hub, provincial organizations and agencies related to economic development;
- Post secondary degree or diploma from a recognized education institute in the area of business or social sciences, communications, marketing, economics, or an equivalent degree and related experience;
- Two to four years direct experience either in the private or public sector;
- Experience in journalism, graphic design and travel/tourism and/or economic development will be considered an asset
- Demonstrated knowledge of Alberta’s tourism and economic development programs;
- Alberta tourism industry, key stakeholders and their functions;
- Alberta’s tourism industry, its sectors, markets, trends, issues and challenges;
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to plan and organize workload;
- Policy development, strategic planning and issues management
- Creative approach to problem solving combined with sensitivity to the business and political environment;
- Knowledge of Tourism and economic development principles;
- Knowledge of provincial marketing programs and media contacts
- Research and analytical skills employing a variety of sources;
- Demonstrated business acumen as it relates to the understanding tourism related activities;
- Project management to effectively lead multi-faceted projects and committees;
- Meeting facilitation and negotiation skills;
- Grant management,
- Writing communication, including drafting briefings, final reports, training manuals, briefing notes, memos, letters and speeches;
- Verbal communication including chairing meetings, leading workshops and speaking at conferences and forums;
- Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive information and issues;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with appropriate public and private agencies and organizations involved with the County;
- Superior ability to gather information through researching, interviews or other methodologies and present to multiple audiences in a clear and concise written format or articulate verbal presentations;
- Excellent organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Desktop Publishing software or similar types;
- Strong ability in strategic thinking, results orientation, organizational awareness, problem solving and judgment, resource management and teamwork.
Salary range is $64,555.40 to $83,538.00 annually for this permanent Full-Time postion.
Lac La Biche County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including:
- 100% Employer paid Health and Dental Benefits
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Local Authorities Pension Plan
Closing Date: This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Interested candidates are invited to forward their resume in strict confidence to:
Attention: Human Resources
Lac La Biche County
Lac La Biche, AB T0A 2C0