AUMA’s Board of Directors is seeking applications for three representatives to sit on AUMA’s new Municipal Financial Health Working Group. This working group will provide input on the design of a framework of metrics to assess the financial health of Alberta’s municipal governments, which AUMA can use to:
- Educate municipal, provincial, and federal government leaders about municipal government finances.
- Design the methodology for allocation of the Local Government Fiscal Framework.
- Support AUMA’s future advocacy initiatives as it relates to municipal finances.
The Working Group will consist of 11 members, with representatives from AUMA, various types and sizes of municipalities, municipal stakeholder organizations, and a private-sector organization that specializes in municipal finances and audits.
Scope of Work
The working group is tasked with delivering a report to AUMA’s Board of Directors that includes:
- Recommendations on a set of metrics that provide a holistic assessment of a municipality’s financial health for comparability purposes.
- A summary of risks, gaps, or challenges to measure the financial health of a municipal government.
- Communication materials that members can use to educate stakeholders about municipal finances.
- Recommendations on the methodology for allocation of the Local Government Fiscal Framework.
Working group members will be responsible for reviewing meeting materials and bringing forth ideas, concerns, and opportunities that will help meet the intended deliverables. AUMA staff will be responsible for the supporting research and analysis, and the development of the final report.
Meetings will be held once per month, or more frequently if needed, and may entail up to full-day participation. Meetings will primarily be held virtually with the possibility of in-person meetings. The working group will begin its work in August 2021 and complete its final report by January 2022.
Representation of Interests
Working group members are expected to consider and present ideas and input based on the interests of the municipal sector as a whole and put the sector’s interests above those of their own municipality.
Eligible applicants include senior administrators and elected officials of a city, town, or village in Alberta. Applicants are expected to have a general knowledge of accounting practices, financial statements and reporting, and financial measures as it relates to municipal government operations.
Number of Positions
AUMA will appoint three individuals to the working group, involving one representative from a city, one from a town, and one from a village.
How to Apply
Eligible persons may apply by submitting a letter that includes the following information:
- Phone number
- Brief summary of relevant experience or knowledge pertaining to accounting practices, financial statements and reporting, and financial measures as it relates to municipal government operations.
Deadline for Applications
Applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, June 11, 2021 at 4:00 p.m. MST.
For more information about this opportunity, please contact our Advocacy Team.