The provincial government will be consulting Albertans on items related to federalism in December 2019 and January 2020. A panel of experts has been created to evaluate the feedback received during the consultation period and report back to the government by March 31, 2020.
While the panel will be exploring several ideas, AUMA members will be particularly interested in the proposed legal requirement that municipalities and school boards would need the approval of the provincial government before they can enter into agreements with the federal government.
The Panel is conducting town hall meetings on the following dates:
- December 11, 2019 - Lethbridge
- December 18, 2019 – Grande Prairie
- January 8, 2020 – Fort McMurray
- January 9, 2020 – Fort Saskatchewan
- January 13, 2020 – Lloydminster
- January 16, 2020 – Airdrie
- January 17, 2020 – Medicine Hat
Feedback can also be provided through an online form. More information can be found on the provincial government's website.