The current events and protests in the United States and Canada regarding equity and justice for Black communities highlight the need for municipal governments to openly discuss and take action to overcome issues of racism. Alberta’s communities are not immune to these events and racism, and discrimination, in any form, can impact communities in many unseen ways.
AUMA reminds members that our Welcoming and Inclusive Communities (WIC) initiative is available to support municipalities to lead their community in anti-racism and anti-discrimination efforts. WIC offers support in many forms:
- Access funding for training and education for municipal elected officials, staff, and community members.
- Download and use any of our free toolkits and guides on AUMA’s WIC website.
- Talk to us about the actions being led by both large and small municipalities to promote inclusion.
- Receive guidance on how to join the national Coalition of Inclusive Municipalities.
- Find tips on where to access funding.
- Connect to experts and inclusion leaders from other sectors.
- Contact us for one-on-one guidance.
Created in 2006, WIC is funded and delivered in partnership with the Government of Alberta to support municipalities to implement policies and practices to create and maintain welcoming and inclusive communities. Learn more on our website.