June is Pride Month, and AUMA joins Albertans in celebrating the diversity and contributions of LGBTQ2S+ communities across Canada.
During these celebrations, it is important to acknowledge that members of the LGBTQ2S+ communities continue to face hardships and that municipal governments can play a key role in addressing root issues. Municipalities can create environments where individuals who identify as LGBTQ2S+ can feel a sense of belonging in the workplace and community by training staff on issues of sexual orientation, gender expression and gender identity, and working with members of the LGBTQ2S+ communities to adjust services.
Whether you are starting out or are already an active ally, consider checking out some of the resources on our website such as:
- LGBTQ2+ Inclusiveness: A Toolkit by the Coalition of Inclusive Municipalities
- AUMA video on How Municipalities Can Ban the Practice of Conversion Therapy
- AUMA video on How to Support Transgender Employees
- Conversion Therapy in Canada: A Guide for Legislative Action
- Interactive map of municipalities that have taken steps to prevent conversion therapy
- Tips for gender inclusive correspondence