On February 25, the Government of Alberta will release its budget for the 2021-22 fiscal year. As usual, AUMA will dive into the numbers and release a report with our analysis of how the provincial budget will impact municipalities. In addition, we will also host a webinar where we will walk through the numbers, share our perspectives, and provide you the opportunity to ask questions.
The webinar will be held on Friday, February 26 from 2 to 3:30 p.m. and is exclusive to elected officials and employees of Alberta municipal governments. Share with your municipal colleagues and register today.
AUMA’s input on Budget 2021 priorities
Leading up to Alberta’s 2021-22 Budget, AUMA sent a letter and met with the Honourable Travis Toews, President of Treasury Board and Minister of Finance, to communicate our priorities for the upcoming budget year. Our communication covered many topics that are important to members. A few examples include:
- AUMA’s appreciation of the province’s support in 2020 through the Municipal Stimulus Program and Municipal Operating Support Transfer (MOST);
- the importance of stable and predictable funding, particularly during the end of the Municipal Sustainability Initiative and the start of the Local Government Fiscal Framework;
- the need for the province to establish an Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) program for plastics and packaging;
- the value of partnering with municipalities in striving for economic growth, including appropriate funding for Regional Economic Development Alliances; and
- stopping the transfer of costs and responsibilities onto municipalities.
We look forward to hosting our webinar to share how those priorities are reflected in the 2021 Budget.